Labrador x Samoyed - Does anyone have this cross? Questions

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by Mishka, May 5, 2010.

1. Mishka

Mishka New Member

Name:
    Marina

Labrador x Samoyed - Does anyone have this cross?

Our little girl is of this unusual cross. Has anyone else got a dog like this? I wanted to know what they look like when they are fully grown, do they shed a lot, what is the behaviour like. Also has anybody tried to breed from them and if so, what would you cross it with?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    With respect the answers to most of your questions should of been researched BEFORE you bought her. She is a crossbreed, nobody with any care or consideration would intentionally breed crossbreeds. (IMO)
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi

The problem when you cross two entirely different breeds together is that you will not be able to predict what the puppies will look like, what their temperament will be like, how much they shed, etc. You could end up with a dog that has the best traits of both breeds or a dog with worst traits of both breeds. So, it is a question of waiting and seeing I'm afraid.

As for breeding a dog of this cross, why would you want to? dog rescue centres are full of large black crossbreeds and they are amoung the most difficult to home after Staffies. You wouldn't want to add to those numbers.
  5. Mishka

Mishka New Member

Name:
    Marina
    I see the problems there with the breeding...The reason I was thinking about it is actually because the VET has asked at our last check-up if we were planning to let her have pups. He seemed rather pro the idea....strange, was saying we should cross her with a border collie...And my other half is rather keen on the idea of crossing her with either a lab or a samoyed. I guess we'll have to re-think the situation.
    As for Borderdawn's comment about researching the cross before getting the pup, well we have. We could only find a couple of them on the internet and they both looked OK to us, but different to each other. So the reason why I wanted to find other people with a dog of that cross is simply to compare what the dogs are like. Ours is turning out to be a really pretty girl, but then I would say that as she is mine, she is also very easy to train and has a great temperament.
  6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Hi

I have to say that I am horrified a vet would suggest breeding from a crossbred dog, never mind crossing it with another breed creating what are essentially mutts! this is no offense to your girl of course and I'm sure is lovely, but NO vet or anyone should be encouraging Labrador x Samoyed x Border Collie puppies unless they are totally mad...there are similar cross bred puppies in shelters up and down the country. Even reputable breeders sometimes struggle to sell their well bred puppies, so the odds of you finding good homes for 10+ mongrel puppies are low I'm afraid.

Please have a think what you are proposing. Getting your girl spayed and enjoying her as a pet is by far the best thing for her. Oh, and I'd switch vets for making such ridiculous suggestions! :shock:
  7. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    a border collie always makes a nice X., adds some brains & biddability to any pups
    (can also add herdy , eyey ,nippy, sound senstivity, quirky obessessional traits)
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Id run a MILE from that Vet, incredible to think he/she would encourage irresponsible breeding!! Shocking in fact!
  9. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    why are we shocked that yet another vet knowssod all about dogs?
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well yes, thats true enough Mish.:001:
  11. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    I totally agree with this - your vet is a plonker of the highest order......

Please don't breed - there are enough unwanted puppies in the world already without adding to it, however good your intentions are..... Have your girl spayed and enjoy your time her

[​IMG]
  12. Micheal Casha

Micheal Casha New Member

Name:
    Micheal Casha
    I have this mixed breed, so does my Aunty, I fortunetely got the best one out of the 2. Mine is very placid and loyal, and obedient. However my aunty’s dog is more energetic and disobedient. And he is very naughty. I was just lucky I got the one I did.
  13. alwalton

alwalton New Member

Name:
    Allison
    We just lost our beloved Lab/Samoyed mix. She was truly the best dog we have ever had. I'm now desperately looking for another one - but they are extremely difficult to find. Where did you find yours?

Is there anyone else on here who knows of this mix being available somewhere?

Thank you :)