Floppy Ear?!!! Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Foz, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Foz

Foz New Member

Name:
    Lee

Floppy Ear?!!!

Hi everyone, I am just looking for a little advise to ease my mind. I have a 6 month old Staffy and a few days ago he developed a "floppy" ear!! He had 2 perfectly normal "half prick" staffy ears until 1 of them "flopped". I wondered if this can happen and will correct itself, or if it's not normal or can be permanent? I've owned a staffy before but his ear never flopped.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ear carriage can fluctuate in puppies. It should settle, but it is worth checking whether the ear needs cleaning. My Beagles will drop an ear if there is wax in the canal.
  4. Foz

Foz New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thank you for your reply. His ears (as far as I can see) are clean. It certainly isn't bothering him.
  5. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Staffy ears can either be half pricked or rose. If the ears bother you maybe try taping them? You can look up articles or youtube videos, I have watched loads on taping drop ears, though not either rose or half prick but I am sure there are ways to tape the ear into the right shape. Puppy ears tend to do crazy things while they are teething but if having wonky ears will annoy you then taping them before the cartilage sets is a great idea.
  6. Foz

Foz New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thank you for the info. I'm not sure it bothers me enough to tape them. I was more curious as to wether this was normal. My old Staffy's ears didn't do it (my cockers ears were always floppy ) so it's something new to me. I love him floppy ears or not. Thanks again.
  7. Tyson Ahmed

Tyson Ahmed New Member

Name:
    Tys
    Love a floppy ear adds to Tysons character i think lol

Attached Files:

8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I have some with mismatch ears
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Regular lab... Silly lab... Nigredo has wonky ears too. As a puppy, one was proper and one was wonky like the ones he has now. Eventually they both turned wonky. Screenshot_2017-12-20-01-07-48.png IMG_20171220_005159.jpg