Hello fello IW owners! General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by K-dawg, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    :) Well hello there
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Harper weighs that much as a fully grown adult!!! I'll enjoy watching you guys grow. :D
  4. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Where on earth did the time go Phil? It seems like only yesterday that you posted a picture of the Old Fella watching over your newborn, seeming to wonder why this one was so quiet compared with the others - but of course he was deaf. And I still miss the Old Fella - SIGH

Willow, ah Willow - it has been lovely watching you grow up through the pictures posted.

And I got done yet again on a quiz site when the question was which was the largest dog - and as usual I put IWF and not SDH :oops:
  6. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    She was only 2 this week but yes - time does fly.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I thought the largest breed was the Great Dane, but please remind me what a SDH is!
    (This has given me the opportunity to try out one of those extra buttons which I usually ignore).
  8. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    SDH ?

Scottish Deerhound ?

I think the tallest individual dog has most often been a Great Dane but I think the Irish Wolfhound is regarded as the tallest breed. Much of a muchness though.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @CaroleC and @Phil - Scottish Deerhound. The site is a quiz/trivia one and there are four possible answers to most questions - except for those you have to type in - and yet again I had clicked on IWF and not SDH. It is timed, and people play against everyone else although I suppose that like me, I play against myself, and there are so many hourly and daily quizzes that it is horribly addictive.

I discovered the site some time last year when I was bored and got hooked. What I did not know at the time was that you get 50 free quizzes and then have to join, which costs a fortune [snigger] of $20 each six months.

It is an American site and has ? knows how many members, but having just checked there are currently 5,856 members on line [at 8:48 am CST their time].
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Well, between those two, I would have put the Irish Wolfhound as being larger than the Deerhound too. Irritating when the quiz setters get it wrong!
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Phil likes this.
    It is possible to correct any incorrect answer but the thing is that the quizzes are set by members [although they have to be approved] and as there are are over 2 million members [not all paying ones, some people just join, play their 50 free games/quizzes and then leave], and about 150,000 quizzes, errors are bound to happen.

Some quizzes, most of which are 10 or 15 questions although some do go up to 25, are set by individual members. Others are a mix from various members.

Anyhow, having gone way off topic now I apologise most sincerely to Kurt @K-dawg and the gorgeous Augie for having hijacked his thread.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh of course! So sorry Kurt, back to topic.
  13. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Hi guys,

Here's a not so great pic of Augie playing "drop my damn rope!" with Cudi our Wire Fox. Augie is now a solid 26 lbs at 9 1/2 weeks. Amazed at the energy he has. We have three other dogs, Bongo a big Airdale, Kona a little but plump Shnoodle and Cudi. The first two are indifferent at Augie's presence but Cudi is always up for a game of chase or "drop my damn rope!".

19149341_1318932538220608_3162693781409068725_n.jpg
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lovely picture Kurt - thank you for showing us how Augie is getting on. It is going to be so lovely watching him grow up. And up. And up! :D
  15. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Thanks for the update.

You'll find tug o war games become quite entertaining once she starts to grow.
  16. gracefall

gracefall New Member

Name:
    Jessie
    Malka likes this.
    Hello All,

I just rescued an Irish Wolfhound mix (we think) a couple of weeks ago. We aren't sure on age, possibly about 3 years old. His name is Harry and he is a sweetie. We think he might be mixed with Weirmaraner because he has very light eyes. Essentially he looks like a miniature IW. He was abandoned down a long dirt road where his foster found him. She had him for about 6 months, but didn't know much about him.
    The rescue listed him as an IW, but the foster said he was an Airedale (vet disagrees). The foster shaved him for the summer (we are in Texas). I'm trying to figure out how long before his beautiful coat comes back, and what I should do to help the process? Any suggestions?
  17. gracefall

gracefall New Member

Name:
    Jessie
    K-dawg and Malka like this.
    WP_20170602_21_38_45_Pro.jpg here us a picture of Harry enjoying the sofa.
  18. gracefall

gracefall New Member

Name:
    Jessie
    K-dawg and Malka like this.
    18057120_418717271817366_8104009456249285932_n.jpg and the picture from the rescue site.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    gracefall likes this.
    Hello Jessie and Harry - welcome to Breedia from little Tikva and from me. :039:

Well done on rescuing Harry - he really is a very handsome lad! :grin:
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Harry is lovely, I hope you have lots of fun with him. Clipping tends to make coarse coats go soft and dense, but you may get away with him just having a single clip. As his coat grows, try keep the fluffy undercoat to a minimum, and give the rough hair every chance to come through.
  21. gracefall

gracefall New Member

Name:
    Jessie
    Given the length of his fur from the rescue picture, it looks like he had been clipped before, then clipped again prior to our adoption. We think he has been given a clipping at least twice. I'm hoping that his hair will grow back. His legs are beginning to get a bit rough again.

He had some tooth loss (since the pic from the rescue was taken, but before we got him) and the vet thinks he was chewing on his kennel. He is also a bit shy and flinches and trembles at times, going into instant submissive pose on his back. he is well trained and knows commands and minds well. We think whomever had him as a puppy trained him, but either they or someone after that was abusive to him.

My poor baby has had a rough go, but he is being treated like a true member of the family now and coming out of his shell.