Shedding Blade Concerns Grooming

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by kfondrie, Jun 16, 2017.

1. kfondrie

kfondrie New Member

Name:
    Kyle Fondriest

Shedding Blade Concerns

Hi Everyone,

So, I have a 5 month old Alaskan Malamute named Loki and am in search of some insight. When I first knew I was going to get Loki I made a trip to my local pet store to prepare for my new family member's arrival. On one blog post I saw someone mention that a shedding blade was optional, but very helpful, so I picked one up. I have used it probably a total of 6 or 7 times on my pup and am now concerned. Earlier today I was searching around to see exactly why furminators are bad for malamutes and it seemed that not JUST the furminators are bad for malamutes, but shedding blades as well.

Here is my question: could I have possibly done any permanent damage to Loki's coat? Also, is it normal for the fur on his head to be softer than the fur on his back? This may sound silly to some of you, but ever since I read about shedding blades earlier today I have been very concerned.

For those of you who want to see what brush I am referring to here is a link to my exact brush: http://www.petsmart.com/dog/groomin...shedding-rake-and-blade-dog-tool-5232326.html

Thank you ahead of time for any and all replies. I hope that you can put my mind at ease! :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Kyle and welcome to you and Loki to Breedia from little Tikva and from me. :039:

I do not know anything about Malamutes but I do know that the link you posted to a "shedding blade" does not show a shedding blade. This is a shedding blade and if used properly, not dragging it heavily across the dog's coat with great force, all it does is remove dead hairs.

Very efficiently and very gently.

[​IMG]

I used one on Pereg, the dog in my avatar, who although short coated, shed like mad and blew her coat maybe twice a year.
  4. kfondrie

kfondrie New Member

Name:
    Kyle Fondriest

Thank you for your reply. I just want to make sure there isn't going to be any permanent damage to his coat from my use of the tool posted. It says that it is a blade. If not a blade, what its it?
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @kfondrie - hello Kyle. As I said I do not know anything about Malamutes but what I do know is what a shedding blade is and how it works, and unless it is ripped heavily along the coat of any dog, all it can it just remove the dead hairs.

It only needs to be used gently, whatever the breed/length of coat, and it only removes dead hairs - it cannot pull out live hairs from their roots.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Having double coated breed Gsd's shed profusely, i've never used a rake /blade/furminator as they can damage the coat, any kind of shedding blade can cut the coat.
    There is no single magical tool, a good slicker brush and metal comb will do just as good a job.
    175004_MP_DOUBLE_SIDED_DOG_COMB_NO_19.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  7. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    i doubt you will have permanently damaged your dogs coat. it will regrow......when shedding will seemingly all fall out first but will regrow.

Might have upset the balance of guard to undercoat hairs a bit but even that is unlikely.

I use an undercoat rake, looks like a mini garden rake with rounded pins set fairly wide or a comb like the above picture.

Everest is just past a year and still seems to be developing the right balance of double coat, generally she is very soft with much more wiry covering on the body which has become more prominent after her recent blow. Her head and chest in particular are plush and thick.

I wouldnt worry much about it.