Breed Suggestions Needed! General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Innocence, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane

Breed Suggestions Needed!

Hello, :026:
    I'm thinking of getting a new puppy and I have a 2 year old Springer Spaniel named Harper for those of you who don't know already.

I just would like to put Harper's interest at heart as well as mine when choosing a breed. Although she doesn't mind large breeds she prefers to make the smaller ones her play mate. (Nothing to do with dominance.) Therefore I naturally came to you guys for help seeing the amazing advice you have given other people in crisis before.;) Feel free to ask any questions needed to put your suggestion forward, i'll be happy to answer them.
    Thanks,
    Jane
    xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Innocence likes this.
    I know Springers are very energetic - if you are thinking of a small breed perhaps some kind of terrier, e.g. Jack Russell, might be able to keep up with her!
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I was going to suggest a Miniature Schnauzer. Smashing little dogs!
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Im not a small dog person but if I wanted one it would be the Swedish Vallhund’, my friend had one and she as a right character, used to run with the Gsd’s and could take all the amount of exercise and more.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have you any preference for coat type?
  7. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hiya Carole,
    Not really, I am prepared to put work in to groom ect.
    Jane
    xx
  8. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Innocence likes this.
    I'm on my 5th English Springer Spaniel just now and over the years i've had a variety of other dogs 'with' them.

When it comes to the physical side of things - I've found them very adaptable to all shapes and sizes of friends.

All I would say is that all my Springer's have been the most 'needy' in terms of attention and wanting to please so perhaps a breed that is happy not to compete on this front.
  9. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Phil likes this.
    Hello Phil,
    That is one of the things I promised myself I wouldn't do. Harper will not feel as if she has ben replaced as they will get the equal amount of attention. I have to make sure she is ok with the puppy because if for any reason she takes a disliking to the puppy it will be going back. I have to respect that Harper was here first. However if the puppy does come it does not mean she will be my favourite if you get me. The line between the two scenarios is very fine!
    Jane
    xx
  10. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    Just thinking about all the dog breeds I have met. (Far too many.) Anyone have experience with Border Terriers? Would this be suitable? I think Andy Murray has them lol.:043:
    Thankyou,
    Jane
    xx
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Never owned one but know quite a few - love them. Funnily enough, yesterday my neighbour knocked on the door with a border terrier puppy in her arms, asking if I knew where it belonged. It was gorgeous - I was quite disappointed when we found the owner as I'd have loved to have looked after him for a bit. (or for ever!)

My friend has one. great, active little dog. Only vice is that he killed her chickens.

As far as I know they are hardy little dogs - I'd certainly be happy to have one.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, I like them too. My daughter's partner came with a Border as part of the package, as his ex breeds and shows them. She has grown very fond of Elsie, and I think wishes she had picked something similar for herself, (she has a rehomed Rott x Akita).
    I believe that they can be fiesty as youngsters, but they seem to be very trainable, and are bred to run all day, so should keep up with a Springer. Will need hand stripping to keep the classic look, Elsie is spayed and now sports the wispy blonde look.
  13. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello guys,
    I am choosing between the Border Terrier and the Jack Russell Terrier now. Taking Janet's advice with the terrier theme. :p Now you members have to give your opinion on which one out of the two you think would suite my lifestyle and of course Harper. Sorry, I don't want to seem like I am relying on you to make my decisions because I am not. Just want to see what others would choose.
    Thank you for all your help,
    Jane
    xx