Malinois colour: acceptable or not? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Dorka, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Dorka

Dorka New Member

Name:
    Dorka Toth

Malinois colour: acceptable or not?

I am planning on buying this pup on the picture. He has a full pedigree. But... what about the color? Will it change? I am planning to purchase him for only working purposes, no breeding, no shows. Thank you for your answers.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Looks like a Blue they turn up sometimes, it shouldn’t affect working ability was it the only one in litter or were the breeders breeding to produce blues.
    Have the breeders done relevant health tests.
    in Gsd’s Blue is a dilute gene which has the potential to cause hair loss though It doesn't always cause a problem.
  4. Dorka

Dorka New Member

Name:
    Dorka Toth
    Thank you for your answer. There are 9 pups in the litter, 4male and 5 bitches. 4 of them are blue, but I have not received an answer of the breeder of the genders. The parents are working dogs, the litter was not planned. The male is a retired police dog while their mother is still working actively. They are free of any genetic trait but the puppies will not have a registered pedigree.
    Is there any chance that the mask will get darker? I have no experience with the breed, I have had GSDs and dobermans previously, I still have a dobe
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Blue (dilute) dogs are genetically black with an added gene mute the black somewhat.
    Ergo, any black pigment will appear blue/grey. His mask is unlikely to get much darker than it is now; he's always going to look washed out or dusty
  6. Nugget180

Nugget180 New Member

Name:
    Gary
    Personally I don't think color should matter as much unless they breed their dogs to have the blue which could have some inbreeding
  7. Dorka

Dorka New Member

Name:
    Dorka Toth
    Thank you for your answer, when i posted the thread I was about to get a working puppy. At the end I didn't get the pup on the picture, not only because of the color, but because the puppy itself. I was in between two litters and the other one was more promising. I do not really care about the color as long as the puppy is fit for me, but he was not. Since then I have a wonderful 5months old little guy with high drives and perfect working abilities
  8. Nugget180

Nugget180 New Member

Name:
    Gary
    That's great news I wished mine had more drive but at the end of the day she was a gift that I love alot