Advice please ! Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My bear Yoji, Nov 2, 2017.

1. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa

Advice please !

What is everyone’s views on giving dogs hard boiled eggs
    Not as a regular thing, but, as a treat
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Why not? Tikva has a raw egg in her evening "wet" meal about twice a week, and as I cook 6 medium-hard-boiled eggs at a time [I have an automatic electric egg boiler as I killed too many regular pans by forgetting them until I heard eggs exploding...] I sometimes put one in her bowl. Mostly though she has them raw.

If the eggs you buy are stamped [do they still use the lion symbol?] and the egg carton date-stamped, I cannot see any problem. I either buy very fresh eggs from the egg farm just up the road, which are not stamped as they are from that morning's collection, or stamped and dated ones from the macolet.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thanks for that Juli
    We know someone who has chickens, but, I can’t imagine him having them checked for Salmonella and anything else. So, I think we will give him the ones that are “ boxed, dated and stamped “
    Thanks again chuck ! ( Did you see what I did there )
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    I feed raw eggs mixed with their with dinner a couple times a week, with boiled eggs they stank the house out.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yes I did!
    [​IMG]
    If the people who have chickens eat the eggs themselves, or sells them at the gate, I do not think I would worry about giving them to Yoji. The eggs from the chicken farms on the Moshav are collected by Tnuva - the largest dairy company in Israel, where they are sorted, stamped and packed.

But - we can buy that morning's eggs that are maybe mis-shapen or a wee bit dirty - the ones Tnuva do not want, and they are not stamped or dated as people here buy them by the tray or three.

@GsdSlave - Tikki is not a windy pup, and being raw fed nothing that comes out of her rear end pongs. I have never even heard her traf - Pereg used to when she stood at the door barking - bark, traf - bark, traf - but hers never ponged either. :D
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Ah ok, well Yoji isn’t a windy Dog, so, I will try him on one and see how we get on
    We give him sardines as his training treat, he loves those and works really well
  8. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thanks Juli
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    When I kept chickens we all had lots of eggs. Like Vee, I fed them raw to the dogs, some ate the shells too. I believe they only eat the shells if they need the calcium, but I don't know if that is true as it seems to all come out at the other end!
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I know lots of people who feed the shell some ground it to a powder (as it’s easier to digest) others just give the egg whole.
    If feeding a good quality complete it should be balanced and have the correct amount of calcium so you shouldn't add to it by feeding the shell, especially with young puppies as too much calcium is not good.

If you are feeding raw, they should get enough calcium from the bones.