First day at house not eating Health

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by peter kosmas, Nov 1, 2017.

1. peter kosmas

peter kosmas New Member

Name:
    vinylLover

First day at house not eating

Hello ...
    I bought a Rottweiler 8 month old because i saw it at farm and wanted to adopted it . i know i should have got it younger but i thought that if more months would pass no one might want to get it and it would be abonded , so i took it home and own it 1 day.
    From yesterday the dog does not eat nothing , not even meat but drinks a lot of water and plays with toys . Goes walks and is friendly.
    I went to the Vet to check it out and he told me that lets wait 1-2 days to see if there is an environment issue or it may have got used of Farm food with all the stuff it eats . It seems i tried some meat grilled just to see if it will eat it , it seems that the dog is not interested eating at all.
    I tried to give it some food from my hand , it eats a tiny bit and stops.
    I Asked another opinion from a Pet store where the person knows much abouts dogs , and he told be not to worry , if the food is there when i realy gets hungry it will eat .
    I am a bit worried . The dog runs and plays and looks healthy ,Drinks tons of Water and wants to play all the time .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    New owner and new home, I wouldn’t worry just yet give him a few days to settle in.
  4. peter kosmas

peter kosmas New Member

Name:
    vinylLover
    Will the Dog have any Health issues if it does not eat for 2-3 days?
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If the vet says the dog is healthy and in good condition it won’t hurt for a few days.

I wouldn’t leave food down for him, if he doesn’t eat within 10 mins take it away, do you know what the breeder fed? You could try him with a bit of scrambled egg/tuna that might start him off
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Have you tried giving the dog raw meat? But as @GsdSlave said, give him a few days to settle down in his new home, and as long as he is drinking he should be fine until he decides he is hungry.
  7. peter kosmas

peter kosmas New Member

Name:
    vinylLover
    Thank you for everything , he now eats cans mixed with dry food .
    Now i see i cannot learn him some behaviour because he does not eat any treats .
    I Try
    Bribing him with squeezers , he adicted to it , he only thinks of sqeezers .
    Whenever i hold a squeezer he listens to me , this is weird , i bought the dog from a dog trainer , he does not eat treats any even the best , he gets crazy with squeezers.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm glad he is eating for you now. Have you tried small pieces of cheese, or baked liver, as a food reward?
    If he has been trained before, his trainer may not have used food rewards, for example, most police dogs are rewarded with a tennis ball, and they become really obsessed with them. Perhaps you could ring his previous trainer and see what has worked best for your boy. He will probably be pleased to have news the puppy's progress.
  9. peter kosmas

peter kosmas New Member

Name:
    vinylLover
    Hey that was realy a good one.
    I tried to handle him with mandarins,oranges,small balls and he is realy obsessed with them , whenever i want to handle him i show him a small object and i can handle him.
    He can't be controlled when he see cats , but when i show him a mandarin he gets his focus on that , wherever i go i have with me Tennis ball or small ball and can handle his attraction with it.
    Well i will take him to a professional now to see what training i can do, maybe i may need some training also .
    Is it good the dog to be so much obsessed with a tenis ball ??
  10. peter kosmas

peter kosmas New Member

Name:
    vinylLover
    I don't think that his trainer will tell me his secrets , he wants money , and i believe that most trainers when they sell dogs they train them this way because it is much harder to work with objects instead of treats.
    :)))