Help me understand coat colour DNA test results? Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Toothpick134, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Toothpick134

Toothpick134 New Member

Name:
    Patrick

Help me understand coat colour DNA test results?

Hello everyone,

Greetings from the UK. I wanted to ask someone who may have experience in breeding French Bulldogs. I have recently had my French Bulldog girl (Phoebe) DNA tested for coat coat colour. She herself is of Black coat, KC Registered with excellent bloodlines. The results were as follows: n/n, n/At, n/a, B/B, D/d, E/E, EM/EM, n/KB, N/S. (please see attached image for the results with some explanations.)

I have a basic understanding of genetics and Dominant/Recessive genes, and have tried watching many youtube videos explaining it. I would like to ask your opinion in understanding the results.

My question is: when picking a stud based off of his DNA, what are my options with regards to possible offspring coat colours my dam can produce? What DNA should I look for when picking a stud and what are the possibilities in terms of coat colour of offspring?

Thank you for reading my post, I would really appreciate any help.

All the best!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello and welcome to Breedia from Tikva and from me :039:

Have you bred Phoebe before or is this the first time for you both? I am sorry but I do not know anything about possible offspring coat colours in Frenchies but when I used to breed Griffons I only used red dams [mine] and sires [my mentors] as the fairly uncommon blacks or black and tans were only from that colouration in their lineage.

I also do not know or understand about genetics and Dominant/Recessive genes regarding colour, therefore I am sorry that I cannot help you, but hopefully someone far more knowledge than I will see your post and give you the advice you need. Is DNA testing 100% correct regarding coat colours from specific matings?

As I said, I hope someone with more knowledge, especially regarding coat colours, will see your post and give you advice.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Also in the UK, but not in your breed. I'm sorry, the sheer range of possibilities in the FB just makes my head spin. Are you a UK Breed Club member? That can often be the best source of information.
    For my own interest, (perennial nosey Parker), I had a quick look online, and was impressed with the 2008 .pdf from the New South Wales Breed Club. I'm guessing that you will already have that on file, but if not,
    www.frenchbulldogclubnsw.asn.au>col...
    Good luck!
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That site cannot be accessed as it shows that it has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired, although it does not state why.
  6. Toothpick134

Toothpick134 New Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Hello, no this would be my first time breeding Phoebe. It's difficult to understand genetics in humans (for example eye colour genetics works on similar rules) but there is a great number of possibilities with french bulldogs.

I guess I want to be able to predict to some extent of accuracy, the colour of the offspring by choosing a correct stud.

The DNA results I received are 100% correct yes, and all French Bulldog studs have them too so that breeders can produce desired colours, I'm not too bothered what colours my Phoebe's offspring will be I just want to know so it's not a surprise. Hope that doesn't make me sound bad! ;)
  7. Toothpick134

Toothpick134 New Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Hi! I have spoken with the Kennel Club Breeders programme and they recommend to have our first litter and then if we decide to have more in the future, join their breeding programs and register then. So it could be something to do in the future.

I also can't access that website but taking out the >col... worked so: www.frenchbulldogclubnsw.asn.au

But I couldn't find the document you referenced.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Why should wanting to know the colour of Phoebe's future offspring make you think people would make you sound bad?

My first thought though is that if this is your first time breeding, why do you want to do it? It is not an easy process for either you or Phoebe, especially as she is a maiden bitch - do you have an experienced mentor and a vet at hand if there are any problems?
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I Googled,
    French Bulldog Coat Colour Genetics.
    The link I have given appears, prefaced by PDF. It is the Sixth entry down on my tablet.
    The PDF downloads in an Adobe page.
    Lots of other stuff that Google page too.
  10. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Where did you get her dna tested for colour been looking at getting my boy dna tested for colour and health
  11. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James