Spooked Frenchie :( Discussions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by debbie atkins, Nov 26, 2017.

1. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79

Spooked Frenchie :(

ok this has happened twice now. My Frenchie appears to be absolutely spooked by something. Both times it's happened in the dark. His front legs go wider, and his body won't stop shaking. His eyes are wide and he's looking around but it's like he is petrified od something. It's taken me about 5 minutes to calm him. I've googled it, and not sure what it is as he hasn't peed himself. Freaking me out. Can anyone help? (He is 2 1-2) no health problems.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Debbie - three questions. What is the timing between these episodes - days? Weeks? And have you mentioned it to your vet.

The third question is has anything happened that is not usual - such as changing his food or something?

I hope he is OK.
  4. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    Hi,

Last one happened about 5 weeks ago. It was about 7am, and he woke up and was shaking straight away. I put that down to a bad dream.

Tonight it was around 7:30pm. He was awake, we were watching TV in the living room with the lights off.

His foods been the same, he had some mince and potatoes earlier (little bit of leftover dinner) and usual treats.

He had a very energetic morning, running wild with a fellow Frenchie.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow to make an appointment but I'm not sure what they'd suggest. I've googled it and can't find anything similar apart from suggesting a fit.

I have also just lit some white sage in case my house is spooked ! :/

What is odd is last week me and Pete just happened to look at him at the same time and it was like he was being pushed backwards. So weird
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would not use any essential oils or even room freshener at the moment, nor give him any left-overs, and make a note of everything that might see significant, even down to the slightest change in his behaviour or anything, so that you know what to tell your vet. I always kept an online diary for Pereg and jotted everything down every day, even to a change in the weather or if the gardeners across the road were weed-spraying.

I still keep the diary for Tikva although not every day, but it does keep me aware of any dates that she might be off-colour and also when she has any vaccinations or worm treatments, with reminders when the next are due.

You say you were watching television with the lights off - was there any flickering or flashing on the television at the time? Anything slightly different that happened during the day?
  6. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    No there wasn't any flickering.

I have stopped him having leftovers, he will now only have dog food and dog treats.

I took him to the vets and they took bloods from him. All came back fine. Vet said to just keep an eye on him and if if starts happening regular (as in once a week) then to maybe go down the route of having an MRI etc. I asked if there was anything I could do and she said no, just comfort him as you have been doing.

She didn't seem to be worried though. What's funny is Chopper hates the vets and as soon as we walk in the door he shakes. I said to her this is how he was shaking the other day.

It's just worrying isn't it. Poor little souls :(

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me as well. I really appreciate it
  7. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    The only thing that was different was that he was running around like a lunatic with another's Frenchie and he was knackered. Almost struggled to walk back to the car. He slept for a bit later so maybe he was done in?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg's bloods always came back fine and she had no known trigger, so it was never known what caused the seizures. She was always fine going to the vet even though she had to have three-monthly blood tests - she almost galloped from the taxi into the surgery.

Little Tikva adores him as well, even though she has to have three-monthly shots for Parkworm - he comes here for those and she leaps into his arms for a cuddle when she sees him! Mind you she has to wait for her cuddle until I get my hug from him!

As for Chopper, I would not go down the MRI route but if he does have more episodes I would ask for him to be referred to a neurologist, and I still think keeping a diary might be helpful. I actually kept/still keep two online diaries with the same information on both of them in case one of the sites goes down.
  9. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    Bless her.... she sounds adorable!

Thank you so much for your advice :) it did happen once more but he hurt his eye and yelped then started shaking :( poor thing.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you for coming back Debbie - it does not sound like Chopper has anything really nasty going on but as the vet said, keep an eye on him and note anything strange or different in him and in his environment.

My beloved Pereg is the one in my avatar - I do not have the heart to change it. She was a wonderful girl but in the end I had to give her peace. She was only 6 years and 3 months old but she had uncontrollable epilepsy even with strong medication. It still upsets me to remember how bad it was.

Little Tikki Tikva is a right little booger at times - 2½ years old and she still thinks she is a puppy! Ah, but she is a little angel when she is asleep!
  11. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    And it just happened again, no trigger I can think of :( I’m going to ring the vets on Tuesday to see if he can get seen by a neurologist... it’s just so sad and the only thing we can do is cuddle and talk to him. It’s like he’s seen a ghost. Gutted :(
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sorry to read that Chomper had another episode Debbie - was it exactly the same as the previous ones?

Having read this thread yet again, the only thing I can possibly think of is possibly very mild Petit Mal, which even some canine neurologists say dogs cannot suffer from [but yes they can] or very mild focal seizures - although from what you describe, Chomper has not shown normal symptoms of that. And unless a vet or neurologist sees a full episode, not just nervous shivering, it will be your description they have to go by as there are no actual tests to prove one thing or another.

A neurologist is the way to go but please do not let them talk you into MRIs or lumbar punctures because they will not show anything - unless Chomper has had a major head trauma in which case he would be showing signs of Grand Mal seizures, not just these shivering episodes. An MRI would show brain trauma but it would have to be severe trauma displaying as severe GMs.

Obviously these episodes are very worrying and distressing for you, Debbie, but if Chomper gets over them with your cuddles and talking to him, then they are not distressing him. If he had another episode, please do not rush to him, just gently talk to him, "mommy is here" sort of thing, and then go and give him loving cuddles when he is OK again. Do not make a song and dance about it, if you understand what I mean.

And please, whatever you do, do NOT let either your vet or a neurologist prescribe him ANY medication unless he had major episodes which occur and continue to occur less than a month apart.

And yes, I DO know what I am talking about, as did my wonderful vet, who looked after my beloved Pereg so well.

Juli x
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Most important of all Debbie - do not panic and do not let Chopper [please forgive me for mis-spelling his name] let him see that you are worried.
  14. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    I cannot thank you enough for your advice. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.. I’ll let you know how we get on (all we can do is cuddle and talk to him) I am 4 months pregnant aswell (these started once I found out. Maybe that’s what’s freaking him out :)) so my worry is amplified.....

He’s currently now munching on a bone, being his barkey michevious self (normal service has resumed for now)

Debbie
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I haven't read all the advice you've been given so excuse me if this is a repeat.

Keep a diary. A diary (exercise, food, treats, amount of play etc) can often show triggers we would otherwise miss.

It does sound very much like petit mal seizure activity, but no amount of testing will give you a definitive answer as to whether or not it is, but may rule out other causes.

I hope all goes well for you all. If it is epilepsy, just bear in mind that it is often more distressing for those witnessing it than for the dog himself as he won't be 'there' when the episodes take place. xx
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Mazal Tov on your pregnancy Debbie - and now I am just wondering...

You know that I am not a vet but I do have medical qualifications, so I have had experience of both human and canine epilepsy. I am not talking off the top of my head, nor am a googling for information [maybe that should be "mis-information" for some people who do not understand how to use some of the very good info that Google brings up] but...

...if Choppers episodes started at around the same time as your pregnancy started - and yes, dogs [and cats] can pick up infinitesimal hormonal changes in their owners, the same as some dogs have been proven correct when they have been aware of cell changes that have turned out to be a sign of cancer...

...not forgetting the service dogs who are trained to be aware of a diabetic or epileptic owner in the preliminary stages of an attack which has yet to occur...

I think, and I could be wrong, but I think that Chopper has sensed a change in your hormones and these episodes could be his reaction to them. And this might sound like a silly question, but reading back from your OP and now knowing about your pregnancy - may all go well with you and the little one you are nurturing inside you - to me it seems like his episodes have been around the times you would have been menstruating.

Oh Debbie - I wish I had all the answers for you but all I can do is try to answer your queries, advise as much as I can - and send you comfort and love.

Juli [​IMG]
  17. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    I didn’t think about hormones so will check the dates. So far it’s once a month. Diary entries are being taken with curcumstances, environment etc. I’ve just read up on the petit mal and it does seem to be the case with him.

Thank you both so much. :) fingers crossed I this investigated more. X
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hormonal/menstruation dates will be plus or minus, because dogs can sense these hormonal changes long before we can.

I do not know what diaries you use, but I use the following free online diaries.

http://www.my-diary.org which is a free online diary, who send me an email every day - well it originally addressed to Pereg "Hi Pereg, how was your day?" although now of course it is "Hi Tikva, how was your day?" and also https://penzu.com/

I usually use the My Diary site, then copy and paste it onto the Penzu site. Just in case one site goes down.

At the moment I am slowly getting to the end of a rather long course of Prednisone following a major angioedema allergic reaction to something unknown, and am using the diaries to tell me how much and what reduction I need to take, and of course it is registered when the last attack occurred. So just as they helped me keep track of Pereg - not just her medication but also what she was due to eat, blood tests, just about everything, the diaries are also now used for Tikva, noting if she was a bit off-colour, dates she had various shots, worm pills etc, and when someone has been here to fix anything.

Debbie, for your health, the health of the baby you are carrying, and for the psychological health of Chopper, please just relax and take things as they come.

What else can I say? Just that I am here, I am with you, and I will help you to the best of my ability.

Juli xxx

19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @debbie atkins - how is Chopper now, and just as much important, how are you?

I am still thinking of you and will always be here for you.

Juli xx
  20. debbie atkins

debbie atkins New Member

Name:
    Debbie79
    Hey! Thank you for thinking of us all :)

So far so good. He’s been off human food/ leftovers.....

He had a slight tremble the other day but nothing worth worrying about as I comforted him immediately and he was fine so no episode. However, the more we’ve kept an eye on him we’re now thinking it’s anxiety related

I’m
    Good. Getting bigger by the day :) x
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hang on in there debbie -but If would still keep a diary for at least another few months... just to keep your mind restful. :)