Any clue if my dog Shiro is an American Bulldog? Questions

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by Jesto714, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Jesto714

Jesto714 New Member

Name:
    Joseph

Any clue if my dog Shiro is an American Bulldog?

D43A6302-C904-4D17-8E9E-956B06ABAE3D.jpeg C7289146-93E3-456D-BFCB-DC52D715FEBB.jpeg 580ECE93-A432-46E5-9893-F87E29976EC0.jpeg Hello, I’m new to the forums. I was just wondering if anyone can help. This is Shiro. My brother got him from some guy who posted an add. The guy was giving away 3 free Puppies. I guess it’s whatever was left from the litter and he couldn’t sell them, so my brother and his friends took them home. We took Shiro. I’m not too sure if he’s a American Bulldog. The guy who gave them away says that they are. Shiro is a couple months old. He has pretty short legs from what I’ve seen online. Anyone know what he could be? He’s such a cool dog regardless. I just want to know if he really is an American Bulldog. Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    How old is he? How tall at the withers? How much does he weigh? Very important info. That front left foot/leg is wonky wonky wonky.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Don’t see why that is relevant as dogs vary in size/structure within the breed.
  5. Jesto714

Jesto714 New Member

Name:
    Joseph
    B11EE7A8-267C-4C1D-9580-50E86087993E.jpeg
    Here’s a picture of his face. He’s about 6 months old. Maybe 40 pounds. Withers height is about 19-20 inches. I don’t know why his front leg look like that in the picture. Not like that in person.
  6. Jesto714

Jesto714 New Member

Name:
    Joseph
    Lol... that’s what I was thinking. But I’m no expert.
  7. Jesto714

Jesto714 New Member

Name:
    Joseph
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Shiro was a very cute puppy and is now a very handsome lad, so does it really matter what breed/whether he is a pure breed or not? If you love him and he is happy, then why not accept him just as he is?

With regard to wonky legs - you should see my Doxie/Minpin cross and then you would see some really wonky-looking legs!
  9. Jesto714

Jesto714 New Member

Name:
    Joseph
    Doesn’t matter. Love him regardless. Just asking out of curiosity. I was looking at his legs earlier, and I wasn’t sure what you guys meant by “Wonky legs.” I had to search it up on google. It doesn’t really seem “wonky” to me. Not like pictures I’ve seen on the internet at least. But you guys seem like experts. What am I supposed to look for exactly? Seems like normal dog legs to me. Lol
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Joseph, I think that only one person said Shiro had a wonky leg. I cannot see it and I do not think anyone else mentioned it, so please do not worry.

As I said, you should see Tikva who is a Doxie/Minpin cross and then you would see wonky front legs, as they are normal length, not short Doxie legs, but she definitely have wonky-looking front legs and feet!

[​IMG]

This is a picture from over a year ago but you can get an idea of her wonky legs, and when she is standing her feet are out to the side, just like a full-breed Doxie.
  11. Jesto714

Jesto714 New Member

Name:
    Joseph
    I see it now. Hmmmmmm maybe Shiro does have wonky legs. Maybe it’s cuz he’s a heavy dog with short legs? Not sure. Here’s another picture. He looks pissed off in this picture hahaha E4380B98-7AC5-4491-9F0E-FCEDB959A80D.png
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know anything about bully breeds but if you are concerned then a vet visit would not come amiss. But wonky or not, if his legs do not bother him then tbh I would not worry.

Tikki is outside at the moment, just standing in the sunshine and waiting for someone/something to go past that she can rush out and bark at! She is on a 12m tether and cannot reach the pavement so is quite safe. And if I could only get a photograph of her like that they you would really see wonky front legs

I love Shiro's expression - it is almost but not quite the stink-eye - which I frequently get from Tikki, who is looking so grown-up compared with that photograph of her, although she has not really grown much. She was ~6kg then, maybe a fraction less, and she is ~6kg now, maybe a fraction more. She may be small compared to your lovely Shiro but she is rock solid bone and muscle.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have no bull breed experience so can't comment about his breeding. In this picture, he looks to have a typical bully front, but maybe his feet are a little flat. No criticism intended, but this can usually be improved by exercising at the trot on a hard surface. I hope one of our US members might be along to answer your breed query.
  14. Emu Aragon

Emu Aragon New Member

Name:
    Emu Aragon
    American Bulldogs come in two varieties that descend from two distinct lines: Scott's American Bulldogs and Johnson's American Bulldog. I'd say Shiro looks more like a Scott but he definitely looks like an American Bulldog to me. There's, of course, not a sure way of knowing unless you get a DNA test on him or get pedigree records for him. Either way he's a gorgeous dog.
  15. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Height does vary but at a certain age, say he was super short or super tall for the breed, it would be an indicator. Anyway he's a cute guy.
  16. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    His toes just look "splayed" to me. In this area, this is simply an undesirable trait in bully type dogs that people say indicates mastiff being mixed in somewhere in the line. Not sure how true that is though.