My 3rd Embark DNA test results General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Bulldogs4Life, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee

My 3rd Embark DNA test results

I got Griz's results back today, took about 2 weeks. I dropped another kit in the mail today too, so I will post those results when I get them. Also planning to do Wisdom Panel, I was going to do that today, but didn't get it done.

Here are a couple photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breed came back 100% American Pit Bull Terrier

Here is the shareable link https://embarkvet.com/dog/griz2

Predicted adult weight 52lbs!!!! She's almost full grown and under 31lbs. I understand how / why the results may not always be accurate. Size is polygenic and they can only go off the known genes which they test for.

For advanced results
    E locus - She is Em/Em homozygous for mask, not too surprising. I know she has one, her mom is brindle with black mask, her dad is black so not possible to tell.

K Locus - ky/ky which is obvious she's not black or brindle

A Locus - Ay/at could tell by her coat she's carrying tan point as she has black overlay and widows peak.

Doesn't carry dilute, as I expected.

Carries liver, which I knew was possible, but wasn't real sure. The litter her mother was born in were all black nose, from black nose parents (Griz's grand parents), but her great grandsire (actually double bred great grand sire) is black & white but carries red nose, so apparently he passed the gene to one of his children and not the other so when bred together resulted in black nose dogs with the carrier passing it to Griz mom and so forth.

Out of 5 genes tested for body size, one was heterozygous for smaller size, the rest were homozygous for larger size - which explains why they would give a result of 52lbs.

She has high diversity for MHC genes

Her pedigree calculated 20 generation COI is 12.6% (her sires is 6% and dams 31.6%), her Embark genetic calculated COI is 8%
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Although your “ post “ was an interesting read, I can honestly say the majority of is is beyond me
    She is a beautiful looking dog
    Are you pleased with the results and what do you plan to do with her or is she have a job as a “ pet “ ?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I am a little lost too. I have heard of Embark in other posts - I think all from the USA.
    Could you tell us more about the reasons for DNA testing your puppy? Was this to check on bloodline purity?
    In the UK, we of course have DNA tests for certain hereditary conditions, and there are the entertaining, if sometimes misleading, 'What Breed is in My Dog' ones, but I don't know of any that would provide colour breeding predictions. Not that I breed, but this could be of interest to those breeders who are trying to hang on to the handful of legal but rare hound colours which have fallen out of popularity in the show ring.
  5. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Is there anything you'd like clarification on?

Hmmm I guess I'm pleased. I did these tests to find the actual COI, strictly out of curiosity.
    Also was able to get all genetic health testing done in one shot and get the added bonus of other stuff. Some say the test is expensive, maybe for average pet owner who simply want to know their dogs breed(s) it is. However, since it offers so much more, including screening for over 160 diseases it's well worth it. The test is cheaper than doing DNA testing for the genetic diseases in my breed. Griz had already had her degenerative myelopathy and hyperuricosuria tests done, so that's a loss but she didn't have the rest done so it's all good.

Conformation and barn hunt for her. ;):)

I made a previous post, I will put the link here. The reason for testing is because I wanted to find out how genetically calculated COI and pedigree calculated COI compare. While a formula is used to calculate COI from common ancestors in a pedigree, we know it is only an estimate for probability of inheriting allele which are identical by descent. Genes are distributed at different rates, recombination occurs and litter mates are not clones - though pedigree calculated COI gives whole litter the same COI.

Her results came back as 100% APBT, but this must be a very recent development on Embarks end. My previous two came back Staffordshire Terrier. Pit Bull Terrier were registered with AKC and renamed Staffordshire Terrier (later American was added to name), so from that genetic stand point they are the same pure breed. Though for those breeding strictly one type or another you can see physical difference and different mutations have also happened in each type as been found wth different mutation causing cone rod dystrophy in one vs the other.
    Previously Staffordshire Bull Terrier was grouped into the Staff results, which is a cousin breed they were able to distinguish unique markers for them for some time now though. The Pit Bull appears to be recent result, within the past few weeks judging from when I received my other results. Also the fact they don't yet show "related breeds" in her results and no photos of "other dogs with this breed", like you will see in my other dogs' results if you go to their results in my other post.

Embark screens for over 160 genetic diseases, including those found in APBT and AmStaff, so now her genetic health testing is complete and it allows for me to print out the results showing her as a clear / non carrier.

Embark breed testing is fairly accurate, probably they most accurate on the market because they test over 200,000 markers. People have done wisdom panel (which I think screens only 1,800 markers) and embark and felt embark was more accurate, in some cases WP also gave results of unknown mix for portion but Embark gave breed results- that could be inaccurate BUT using more markers for each breed probably allows for them to give those results with fair accuracy while wisdom panel lacks the ability due to lack of markers.
    As well some multi generational mixes were tested with both, sometimes they were close and other cases Embark was correct and WP was only correct on 1 or 2 breeds.

It doesn't give color breeding predictions exactly, I guess you could use the info that way if you have results on two potential parents. It is really unnecessary for me since I have a good idea and even if I don't know exactly it's not really important to me.

I know Embark does test internationally and that Wisdom Panel has UK availability, but I'm not sure if it's the most recent test which includes health screening and color genetics.

Just as in the USA, the labs in the UK do offer both disease and coat color testing
    http://www.animalgenetics.eu/Canine/canine-index.html
    https://www.animaldnadiagnostics.co.uk/page/products
    http://www.healthgene.com/canine-dna-testing/test/?tId=4

I saw someone from uk posting their results for a French Bulldog, wanting to know what the best to breed them to for color UGH. Rather than having done any health tests, they were concerned about coat color.

Here is post about my two males results
    http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/my-dogs-embark-results.17364/
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Thank you Ezee. I will read thoroughly when I'm feeling a little better.
    Interesting remarks about true v pedigree COI.
    Re. colour. I was of course referring to being bred from stock which have breed club recommended health test status. Not being bred solely to retain a colour.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lovely pictures of your girl - what a glorious colour she is.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Oh I didn't think you meant to breed for color, sorry. I was only saying I knew they have the testing in UK also.

Thank you