Fleas & ticks on my Mal??! Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Brunniebabe likes this.

Fleas & ticks on my Mal??!

My poor Mila is scratching & biting at herself. Never thought a malamute could have this issue but I guess they CAN! :( ticks are BAD in my area (we live in a wooded area). Is there something natural she can eat that will get rid of these pests?!:eek: I HATE fleas & ticks!:mad: I read about Bravecto & love the idea of feeding a dog this tab & no more fleas/ticks. But I dont like the chemicals thats in it. How do you guys deal with these pests? TIA!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I always used to use Frontline Plus but as Tikva has such a short coat I found it impossible to part the hairs to put it on her skin. So I changed to Bravecto and she has not had any reaction to it so will carry on using it.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Oh they are awful. Get something into her system as soon as possible
    Once she has had the first dose you can then relax and do some research into the medication you want to use
  5. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks! My mom had used Bravecto on her German shepherd & he never had fleas & ticks either. I've been reading up on some natural ways to get rid of these pests. Chopped garlic is sopost to work & that Diatomaecous earth (I know I spelled that wrong!:D). Ill give the natural approach a try first. If it fails then I'll use the Bravecto as a last resort:)
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Garlic, I’m sure I’m not on my own when saying I wouldn’t give that to my dog
    Along with a long list of “ human “ food it’s on the list of toxic food for dogs
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    If your Malamute has ticks attached to her skin, do remove them as soon as possible, using the plastic tool available at vets and better pet shops. Some tick species can transmit serious diseases, such as babeosis, and a heavily pregnant tick of any species needs to be disposed of carefully, or you will inherit LOTS of them!
    By all means do your research for the future, but get rid of the ones you have now!
  8. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I was skeptical about garlic too but I just read on a site where small amounts of fresh, organic garlic is safe for dogs. They just can't eat like 8 heads of it. Thats when it gets bad.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...e-a-bad-idea-and-4-natural-repellent-recipes/
    This is the site I read that from :) if it really is bad for dogs then I certainly won't feed it to my Mila:)
  9. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oh I definitely did pluck the 2 I found behind her ears! I HATE those things!:mad: Now every time we come back inside I scan her for ticks & then pluck em off.
  10. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    That’s an interesting read
    There are a lot of experienced people on this site and will watch with interest what they recommend to you
    @Malka feeds “ raw “ she will point you in the right direction
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Very raw - having just had to pack two kilos of fresh turkey gizzards individually and freeze them, with two kilos of turkey hearts in the refrigerator waiting to be done! The next lot will be turkey necks and chicken wings - it seems never ending although as Tikki is small I can get away with two kilos of everything. With Pereg it used to be ten kilos at a time.

However I do not give Tikva raw garlic although a few very thin slices or a very small amount of scrungled garlic will not hurt, but I do give her garlic oil softgels with various other supplements and vitamins in her evening "wet" meal.

I was happy with Frontline Plus for both Lexi and Pereg, Frontlining them on the 1st of every month except for December and February, but as I say, Tikva's coat is too short to part her hair to put it on her skin. So Ram said to try Bravecto which works out fine as he comes here every three months to give her the Parkworm shot and that is when each dose of Bravecto is due.

@Wizegrl00782 - whatever you do, please never put a Seresto collar on your girl.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I don’t use any chemical flea treatment unless I see fleas which (touch wood) is very rare.
    In summer months I do use ‘Dyna-mite’ which is a natural repellent and it seems to work.
    But it only repels and won’t kill them.

I’ve given my dogs garlic with no problems, and some complete feeds have it added, also there are lots of supplements with garlic added, I think it's fine as long as one doesn’t overdose on it.
  13. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks for the info!:) I never did care for the flea collars. Im wondering tho...would a flea/tick bath work on a malamute? I would have to get the stuff for it.
  14. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Im gonna try the garlic approach & check into that Dyna-mite. Have you ever used Diatomaecous earth? I've been reading about that stuff too & was thinking of getting that. I hope Mila will eat the (finely) chopped garlic. Im sure she will :)
  15. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I stand corrected, I truly thought garlic a toxic. Saying that, we live in a French wine region and Yoji sometimes grabs a few grapes ( which are also toxic ) he has survived a few “ grabs “ so, maybe each dog can tolerate different things
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I’ve never used it as if used externally it is very dusty and OH has asthma but have heard good reports about it.

Always make sure it's ‘food grade’ the other stuff can be deadly.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just do not give her too much garlic and try her with a tiny amount to start with. Can you mix it with her food?
  18. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oh yes I definitely made sure its food grade :)
  19. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yes I can mix it in her food. Maybe mix it in with a special treat to make sure she eats it. She definitely has no problem when it comes to food!:D
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That sounds like little Tikki Tikva! Four of her supplements [multivitamin, skin and coat, hip and joint, and Brewers Yeast are in tablet form, the first three being rather large. The others are either in powder form or soft gelcaps and those are mixed in warm water as a sort of soup. Once her meal is made up, the soup, mixed vegetables and meat, before I put the bowl down it is "please mommy" time and she sits with her front right paw up across her chest, waiting for the tablets!

Chomble chomble chomble then she dances round on her hind legs until I put her bowl down! Sure she sits, in her "please mommy" mode - and then almost leaps head first into the bowl! Her morning meal is either a chunk of turkey neck, a chicken wing, or a large whole ungutted sardine - all straight from the freezer, and she dances around while I take whatever it is out of the bag I have packed it in!

Tikva just lurves her food!
  21. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Lol awwe thats so sweet!:DMila has been doing great since we got her. Hard to believe we've had her for 2wks now!:eek: she lets me brush her without (much) protest now. Lol I give her a treat then brush her & repeat the process. She'll let me brush her tail & back-end. Each day I work with her & shes doing better!:D shes definitely a sweet gal!:)