problems with food Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Logan Blake, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Dogs can actually survive on many things and even be healthy. I have read that especially Euro / modern Am dogs (like Pits or Beagles) that developed surviving on little and included grains can do better vs some of the other breeds.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    One day I will write a really long piece about how we fed our dogs from the 1950's onwards. Surprisingly, most them did OK, - even on outdated wartime surplus stock. The first complete foods followed, but for whatever reason, these feeding methods have become less than suitable for our pets these days. Our dogs seem to have become far more sensitive to what we are putting into them, and a daily wail on the Beagle f'book pages is for help in finding a food to suit their hound's digestive system.
    For many years,I earned a good proportion of my income from supplying breeders and pet owners with dog foods, and I am convinced that as long as you feed the best food that you can afford, (and which is available at that time), you will not to too far wrong. Of course 'the best food' has been subject to change over time, and it was only when Eddie started with ulcerative colitis was I forced to rethink what it was that I was putting into his bowl.
    We began the tedious process of test feeding, and maize appeared to be the allergen that was causing the biggest reaction, ie. bleeding from his bowel. I would probably have opted for whole prey plus vegetable feeding, but Ed was repulsed by raw food. I am now convinced that, apart from an occasional crunchy biscuit, dogs do not need grains in their diet, and if you use a respected grain free food with a named protein as its main ingredient you should not have any problems. I add a garnish of cooked veg, and a little wet tray food to my dogs ration, but being retired, I have lots of time to lavish on my elderly babies!
    Until fairly recently, a puppy food meant the same food, either ground smaller, or in a smaller kibble size. If I was choose a puppy food I would not choose a Large Breed Puppy Food which contains grains over a Grain Free alternative - even if there was no Large Puppy variety in that brand. I don't know whether this helps or confuses, but it is my considered opinion.
  4. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Thank you so much for your time replying. I have her on an Active Dog & Puppy formula right now that is grain free. She likes it fine and is growng well and is not a pudgy, pot bellied puppy that just turned 3 months on Sat. I dont know. I don't want her getting too much of something too fast since she's a large breed and growing fast. I also feed her at specific times, no free grazing all day long like her mom. Lol. But I'm learning new things every day about all this food stuff! Thank you again. Here she is at 2 months, almost 3 months old.. So cute huh? 20171223_130750.jpg
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Very cute.
    She is looking very well - don't worry.
  6. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Thank you Carole, isn't she so cute?! She is doing great, I just don't want to be setting her up for any problems later. Back in our young, poor days we fed our rott/ chow mix puppy cheap Wal-Mart food and he did great for 8 years, no heart worm or vaccines given either. Oh those were the slim, lean $ years with a new baby. Lol. Then we lost him in the 94 flood in Houston for 10 days. When we found him he was ate up with fire ants, a swollen eye and limping but he healed from all that......except the trauma. Poor thing became so terrified of storms we ended up having to put him down. It was really sad. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble there but we just had to put our big boy down Sunday, Christmas eve. I'm still really emotional about it but we're so thankful we have this little girl to keep our minds busy and hearts full of love. 10 1/2 years old was really good for a Rottie they say and he was the best! This pic was just 4 weeks ago. I miss him so much. ☹ 20171205_134535.jpg
  7. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Hmm. Just realized my member name doesn't fit anymore. ☹☹
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh Kim, I am so desperately sorry that you had to give your beautiful big boy peace, but I thank you from my heart for having had the strength to give him that peace.

May his memory be for a Blessing.

And Kim, you are still @Momto2Rotts - one whose soul is in your heart, and one who will make sure your heart just keep expanding with love for her, together with the love you had, and still have for your big boy.

Please give your bubba hugs from me, and I think maybe you could do with a hug or three yourself. :058:

Juli xx
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh I'm so sorry that you have lost your big boy. What a trauma for an elderly dog to cope with. Cherish your memories.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    So sorry for your loss x
  11. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    Thank you. We have TONS of memories! I'm going to be making a photo book of him since I have about 1000 pics of him. Best dog ever with all my babes too! Resized_20160909_103414.jpeg 20160404_082137.jpg Resized_20160909_103414.jpeg 20160404_082137.jpg 20160524_100446.jpg
  12. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
  13. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Thank you
  14. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Thank you, we def have many memories of all our beloved pets! I even name my chickens lol. 20170119_211406.jpg
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What absolutely delightful pictures of your boy with his two-legged bubbies :007:
    And why not? After all I name my various wheels - and my freezers! :005:
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I used to keep Marans and Rhode Islands - lovely eggs. I had a few Silkie bantams too - but never a PINK one. I really should know the others too - what breed are they?
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I always wanted to keep chickens but never had anywhere to keep them. Now I do but it is far too late for me.

PINK? That is a chicken? I thought it was an imitation one o_O:confused:o_O:confused:o_O :oops:
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think you might be right. It looks rather fluffy, even for a Silkie!
  19. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    20150217_155449.jpg 20150217_155449.jpg
    Lol my pink silky girl is actually the breed White Splash. She gets a strawberry koolaid bath and "spa day" each Easter. Hehe. She loves it too. I bathe her in the warm kitchen sink, she sits in a sinkfull of strawberry koolaid for awhile and I feed her pieces of bread. Then towel dry her. She's the queen and she knows it. The barnyard diva for sure! Lol. She stays pink for about 4 weeks and the rain naturally washes it off or if she molts it goes away but she's super cute till then. Lol.

I've had Marans also and they laid beautiful dark eggs. A few RIR in my times too, I love a mix and I love diff color eggs too! ☺
  20. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Lol yes she's real! She gets all prettied up for Easter each year. A simple strawberry koolaid spa day and she's a bit! I've done this 5 yrs in a row now, she loves it! 20150405_130728.jpg
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The above description nearly caused an accident in my nikkies ...
    [​IMG]