Day 8 Not Eating! Health

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Dotty Bea, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Dotty Bea

Dotty Bea New Member

Name:
    Dotty

Day 8 Not Eating!

Hello everyone. We have a 7 year old female Bernese Mountain Dog (approx 70 lbs). She's on Day 8 of hardly eating anything. I took her to the vet on Day 3 and they ran a blood test and she popped positive for a tick thing (annaplasmosis I think). So they gave her Doxy (an antibiotic) to see if that helps. I'm pretty sure she already had this tick thing many years ago and it just stays in your blood always though so I don't feel like that's it. She did also have a fever. Vet said to come back in 5 days if she's not improving. Fast forward to today and she's still not eating... she drools quickly on walks now.... and she'll eat a few scrambled eggs for breakfast maybe sometimes but that's it for the day. Today I measured out her water and she drank less than a cup of water all day. She turns her head away from almost all food and then threw up a few times today. I'm obviously taking her to the vet Monday but was wondering if any of you have experience with this?

In the past she's not eaten for maybe a day or was picky for a few days if she was stressed or in a new place, but this isn't that. It's been 8 days of hardly any food. I feel like she's lost weight too. Any ideas?! Worried about her!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Hello Dotty, I'm sorry to hear that your Bernese is so unwell.
    I'm afraid that I have no experience of tick-borne diseases, but didn't want you to feel that no-one was listening. I hope someone with more knowledge will be able to help, but it sounds as if your vet is the best person to advise you.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    I also think this is one that only an experienced vet can handle. 8 days without food would worry me silly too, especially as she isn't making it up with drinking extra.

No advice or experiences to off, but I do wish you all the very best and hope that you will keep us up-dated with your progress
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This sounds so distressing, especially as your girl is not drinking extra - does your vet have any ideas how to treat her?

All my best wishes to you and her from Tikva and I. xxx
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  7. Dotty Bea

Dotty Bea New Member

Name:
    Dotty
    Thank you all for your comments. I wanted to give you an update and hopefully this may help someone else in the future. Called our old vet and turns out the anaplasmosis (tick disease) was something she had several years ago and so it always stays in your blood. So what is going on now isn't that, which is why the Doxy (antibiotic) wasn't helping.

The vet did an xray today and it showed a very massively enlarged spleen. Said she has cancer, most likely hemangeosarcoma. Just absolutely devastating. Symptoms she has are: weight loss (15 pounds since last visit 3 months ago), loss of appetite, fever, pale pink gums, and very few tiny pin prick looking blood spots on her gums, enlarged spleen, vomitting, and diarrhea. Just heartbreaking. The vet sent us home with prednisone and an anti-nausea drug. Unfotunately running more tests and doing surgery or chemo isn't something we can afford and it would also not increase her life by much.

Hard to believe that 7 years old is considered an older dog. Met a lady at the vet with a 12 year old dog. Happy for her but also hard that our dog won't live past 7. That said, Berners are just the most amazing companions. My heart just breaks. Thank you all for the support and listening. Means so much. Thank you!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    All I can send and you and your boy is my love and huggles. My girl, the one in my avatar, was 6 years and 3 months before we gave her peace.

Please do not let your boy suffer. Just love him while you can.

Tikva and I will have you both in our prayers tonight.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry.
    I think that Bernese have a reputation for having a short lifespan, but I agree, seven years should mean a veteran, but not end of life. I am sure that serious breeders will be trying to work on extending the lifespan of the breed - a difficult project as by the time a breeder is aware that they have a longer living specimen, it's breeding potential is already in the past, so progress will be slow.
    None of this helps you and the decisions that you will soon have to make. Just be aware that most of us on Breedia have had similar decisions to make, and will understand if you need to unload.
    Love and sympathy, Carole & Beagles
  10. Dotty Bea

Dotty Bea New Member

Name:
    Dotty
    That means so much to me. Truly. You just had me in tears (in a good way). Thanks for caring so much for a stranger and her dog.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Dotty Bea likes this.
    Dotty - you are not "a stranger and her dog". You are probably half way across the world from me but just as Breedia helped me with my beloved Pereg, Breedia will always be here for you.

And little Tikki Tikva and I will always be here for you.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    So very sorry to hear your news. Nothing that can be said will make it easier for you, but try to smile and look happy while you are around your boy and try to make some happy memories during his final days here with you.

Many of us have been through what you are going through now and it is truly devastating. Hugs and love to both you and your boy and thank you so much for taking the time to keep us up-dated xx
  13. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Such a sad sad time for you & and everyone close to you
    You must be exhausted after a such a long time worrying and seeing you poor baby struggling
    So so sad !
  14. Dotty Bea

Dotty Bea New Member

Name:
    Dotty
    Unfortunately we had to put our beloved dog to sleep today. Absolutely breaks my heart! Even after being on pain meds and prednisone and all else, she still refused to eat or drink. Couldn't jump up on the couch anymore, didn't want to go on walks, her gums got paler / whiter every day. She was just done. It all progressed so fast. You could just see it in her eyes. She still enjoyed being pet but then there were times she just seemed over that too. She was just done. Just laid around and her stomach felt distended. It was the hardest thing making the call to put her down but it was the right thing for her. We didn't want her to have to suffer until the very bitter end. Keeping her any longer would have been for us and not for her, and that just isn't right. She was my first pet as we never had any as I was growing up as a kid. And while I always knew that some day our dog would die, I never really made that connection that I as her owner would have to be involved in making that decision. That's so incredibly hard and I'm definitely fighting feelings of guilt. If we had more money, could we have somehow saved her with surgery and chemo? Should we have waited to put her down another week? All these questions and no answers. At the same time though, there was never going to be a getting back to healthy for her. Hemangiosarcoma is just terrible. We didn't want her to suffer anymore and even if she could have made it a few more days, she would have had no quality of life. I have to remind myself of all of this through my tears.

We miss her so much and my heart just breaks. Walking into our house without her greeting us and seeing her food bowl and bed and all else around but her not here is just so incredibly hard. I'm a stay at home mom with little kids and our dog was just always my companion. She was there through all the mundane ordinary parts of life and she was always happy to see me. Happy to be with our kids. Just filled our house with this joy. She is so missed. Please hug your dogs for me. I'm hoping none of you have to deal with these terrible cancers. Life is a gift!
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am so sorry that the end has come so soon, Dotty. Be assured, you have done the right thing for your girl. Fortunately we are able to grant our dogs the painless end that many of us would choose for ourselves. I know what you mean when you speak of the sight of her belongings, it really hurts to have these relics, and no dog, but you will find that she is always there in your heart.
    One day soon you will feel ready to have another dog in your life. I hope you will return to Breedia and share that news with us.
  16. Dotty Bea

Dotty Bea New Member

Name:
    Dotty
    Thank you for your kind words
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm so very sorry that you lost your girl and so quickly. Cancer is such a terrible disease. I lost a girl in similar circumstances, from diagnosis to having to make that decision was just two days and such a terrible shock.

Be assured that no matter what treatment you gave her, you would have gained little if any extra time. You loved her so much that you let her find peace and, hard as that is, it's the right thing to do.

I, and so many others, really feel for what you are going through now. It's the worst of times, but you will get through it. You will always miss her and love her, but she will always be in your heart and a part of you. xxxx
  18. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    Such a sad sad time, it’s so unfair isn’t it
    Once you know you have done as much as you can, even though part of you feels guilty, it truly is the kindest think to do
    You have been so brave
    Be kind to yourself now, you must be exhausted with the stress of it and from being so strong
  19. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Dotty Bea likes this.
    Dotty, if you are able to then please stay with the group
    From your previous posts I can see you have created such a happy, well mannered dog and one that was happy to be around children
    Many people ( me included ) are aiming to have a dog just like that,
    If you have the time and inclination please “ pop “ your head in now and again, you may be able to help someone with suggestions
    Philippa x
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My heart is breaking for you Dotty - just remember that you gave her peace - the greatest gift you could have given her, Peace. No more pain. And a small dog called Pereg , who is in my avatar who will, play with her as much as she wants.

Cry for your girl now but then remember the good times and treasure them.

And never forget that we will always be here for you.

With love from Juli and little Tiikki Tikva xx
  21. Dotty Bea

Dotty Bea New Member

Name:
    Dotty
    Thank you for the invitation to stay. I will definitely check back from time to time. Berners are amazing