Microchip help needed Questions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by Gizmo Dog, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Gizmo Dog

Gizmo Dog New Member

Name:
    Chrissy

Microchip help needed

Hi , I'm trying to find Gizmo my dog , I split up with my son's mother and I couldn't bring Gizmo with me, to cut a long story short I'm wondering if there's a way I could find him through his microchip (I don't have the number) , or even if I could pass a message to his new owner somehow. It's really doing my head in not knowing how he's doing etc. I've been told that he's living in the Whitley Bay Area of Tyneside and I've posted loads of messages on facebook groups in that area.. any help would be really appreciaappreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When you think that every dog in the UK should by now be microchipped, I can't see how you could possibly trace Gizmo this way without knowing the number. The vets in Whitley Bay would be unable to help you because they have a confidentiality clause.
    You could try placing an advert in a local newspaper, but these are not as widely read as they used to be. As he is a trimmed breed, you could try contacting all the local groomers but, harsh as it is, I suggest that you might be better to just accept the fact that Gizmo now has a new owner, and trust that he is settled and is having lots of care and attention. I don't want to sound hard, but otherwise you are going to make yourself ill with worry.
    His present owner may well not respond if they suspect that you might be regretting your decision. I once rehomed a former show dog of mine. I had used him to produce two litters, and when someone who had had one of my puppies said that a friend of hers was looking for an adult Cavalier, and it would be a super home, I decided to let him go to where he could be a special dog. I got updates about how he went to work with his new Mum, a hairdresser, and was a minor celebrity for having his long full ears washed in the salon, and how he sat under the drier while they dried, but I never had any contact from his actual owner.
    I left it several months before I phoned her on the dog's birthday, and was surprised that she appeared to resent my call. Whether she thought that I was checking up on her, or maybe she even thought that I was wanting him back, who knows? I never phoned again, I knew that he had a happy life, and realised that I would have to be content to leave it at that. I hope you will be able to have another dog when the time is right, that you will love it as much as Gizmo, but next time be able to keep it for life.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I did not know about vets having a confidentially clause because I know that if a vet here has a new client the first thing they would do would be to check if the dog was microchipped.

But the difference here is that the microchip is registered with the Ministry of Agriculture under the owners ID number, registered by the Local Authority Vet with the bar code which is both on the dogs medical card and also with their private vet. I am not sure but as far as I know there are various different companies who chip and register the dog in the UK.

I am rather puzzled though that if every dog in the UK should now be microchipped, how would it be possible to trace one without one basic company who registers them?

I am so sorry Crissy that you cannot find your beloved Gizmo - it upsets me at the thought, but maybe Carole is right and you should draw it a line now and hope that you will find another dog to love and to love you.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would imagine that if the dog was scanned by a vet at some time, and the ownership details didn't match, the chip company would be notified and they would contact the last registered owner. However, my dogs have only ever been scanned when I have asked for the status of their chips to be checked. If the dog was rehomed complete with his papers, the new owner is likely to have had his details transferred to their name & address, so no conflict would be apparent.
    In this case, Chrissy is trying to locate Gizmo without knowing his chip number. My point about confidentiality was that even if he was to ask at all the vet surgeries in that area, and one of them had an idea of the dog's identity, they would be highly unlikely to divulge any details which could lead to the identification the new legal owner.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is what I have difficulty in understanding - it seems to me that there is a number of different scanning companies. I know that here if a dog is taken into a vet it has never been seen before, the first think that would happen is the dog will be scanned.

I know that some people do not like the idea of people having an ID number, but I know mine, it is registered in all official details, and Lexi, Pereg, and now Tikva have their chip number registered with the Ministry of Agriculture under my ID number. And my ID number is registered with the Ministry of Health and can be accessed by all emergency services.

My ID number can not be changed or given to anyone else. It gives my address and can be accessed to all my medical conditions, and my address can only be changed by the Ministry of the Interior if I move. Even my beloved Pereg was registered as being severely epileptic and her medications had to be registered along with mine - but in her name, under the Ministry of Agriculture and paid for privately, not along my Health Fund medications.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As far as im aware there are at least 6 MC databases in the uk,at one time different scanners were needed also, I just wonder if rescues /vets all use the universal scanners now.
    Just because a dog is MC doesn’t mean the owner will automatically get it back if it is lost/ stolen as does not provide proof of ownership, you own the microchip but not the dog.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/news-and-vi...and-client-confidentiality-guidance-approved[/QUOTE]

This is what I cannot understand. Why own have a dog microchipped when all the dogs in the UK are chipped means virtually nothing?
    What is that going to mean if all dogs in the UK are now microchipped?

The more I read about that the more I am satisfied that my dogs m/c are registered under my ID number, and the more satisfied that I do have a registered ID number. With only one m/c registration centre, ie the Ministry of the Agriculture, registered under my ID number with the Ministry of the Interior.

I do not understand how it can work if all dogs in the UK are chipped but with at least 6 m/c databases, each with different scanners? At least I know that all scanners here registers straight back to the Ministry of Agriculture, and the, via my ID number, straight to me.

And by law, any new dogs taken into a vet for the first time must have their chip checked, and the Min of the Agriculture can check to whom the dog belongs.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Apologies Vee - I seem to making a right mess up of my current posts. I hope you understood what I had been trying to say.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Eddie has an Avid chip - it is faulty, and somewhere in his left shoulder, but it is there.
    Merry has a KC Petlog chip implanted by her breeder. Both read out on the vet's scanner, and the dog club Halo scanner. I don't see why the number of databases matters, it is just the way things have evolved over here with approved rescues and breeders being allowed to chip their own stock.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, a dog would be scanned on its first visit to the vet here too, and if not chipped it would be done to comply with the law. With a second owner dog, as long as the new owner has been given the dog's paperwork, they would transfer it, (the chip number), into their own name, so nothing abnormal would show up.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think this is why it confuses me. There is just the one one microchip - registered with the Ministry of Agriculture, and only given and registered by Local Authority Vets. And can only be registered under the ID number of the owner. In order to transfer it it has to be done by the LA Vet and my own Vet, not just a normal transfer.

In the case of Tikva, should I pre-decease her, both my lawyer and my powers of attorney have full permission to transfer her ownership and microchip as they feel suitable. She can not have her ownership and microchip transferred otherwise.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I agree with you Juli. It would be far better to have a central database, but unfortunately the scheme is still evolving. I would hope that one day, the information will be brought together so that more use can be made of the databases by way of research etc.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    In reply to the original post, I would imagine that the chip information has already been transferred and that the transfer was OK'd by your son's mother so you wouldn't be able to find any information through the chip even if data protection wasn't in play.

Your only hope is to contact your son's mother and ask her for any information she may have in respect of the new owners, but be aware, Gizmo's no owners are not likely to welcome any approaches made to them
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The advantage here is that is is a small country and not everybody follows the rules. Plus only Local Authority can implant and register microchips and only they can then register the chips under the ID number of the owner of the owner of the dog with the Ministry of the Agriculture. And any transfer of a dog has to be done legally via the Min of the Ag.

Another advantage if is a bitch is spayed or a dog castrated, the Min of Ag will pay the private vet x amount if the animal has been spayed or castrated. Which means that the vet can charge less if he or she wants to. Most do not.

It is the same with dogs who have not had their mandatory rabies shot. A dog who has no chip therefore no rabies shot [which are also registered with the Min of Ag when [if] given], has a maximum of 5 days in the pound if picked up. And if picked up with no chip and therefore no register of a rabies shot, it is either pay a fortune or no more dog.

How many people who have not bothered to have their dog chipped or their rabies shot, are prepare to pay to rescue their dog from the pound?

It is always "oh we can always get another dog".

Very sad fact but true.