2nd Akita Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Joe Bottaro, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Joe Bottaro

Joe Bottaro New Member

Name:
    Joe Bottaro

2nd Akita

I have a tough decision to make and wondering if anybody has experience with this. I have a 7year old female Akita(Reiko). I got her from an awesome breeder in Indiana as a family pet. She is fixed and grew up for her first 2 years with a male Akita, (Cujo) since Cujo died she has been the only pet other then a outdoor cat which they actually get along well. Unless the cat moves fast then it’s game on, fun to watch, but never hurt the cat. Well the breeder we got her from had a 4 year old male Akita who needs a home. We are seriously contemplating but am worried about the potential issues. The Breeder did say she would want to take the male back if needed. 7 hour drive though. I trust the breeder with her description of temperament but still you never know. Anybody out there with input from experience would be awesome
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Could you meet the breeder mid-distance, and allow the two of them spend some time together. Going for a walk on neutral ground is a very good basis for starting a canine friendship - you should be able to form a good idea of whether they might be compatible, and without the complication of a possessive attitude from the resident dog.
  4. Joe Bottaro

Joe Bottaro New Member

Name:
    Joe Bottaro
    Yea , I thought of that. I think that’s what we’re going to do but am going to have to rent a SUV. I have a car and don’t think sharing the back seat would be ideal for two akitas
  5. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    I'm going to say this if no one else does, I don't think the potential harmful outcome is worth the risk to be honest. A new male puppy for example would be schooled by her and look up to her and develop a strong relationship, but an already fully grown male Akita is probably going to want to dominate her right off the bat, and if she's just as stubborn (which they all surely are) and not having it, then it could lead to a serious fight sooner or later.

Unless this Male Akita is the model of friendliness and your female Akita willingly submits to him, then I honestly wouldn't take the risk. Four years is a long time to a dog, pretty hard to change any behavior that has had four years to set in, and can you really be 100% sure of his history with other animals or people/children etc?

When they said they'd take him back no problems, it makes me wonder how many times he has been brought back already?

I tend to err on the side of caution so my thinking here is how a teenage daughter would feel if you brought a teenage brother home one day and said," ok now you have to start sharing everything".
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    All valid points Branjo. When I suggested a play date, I wasn't necessarily thinking of bringing him home the same day, (unless they got on like a house on fire). The fact that this girl has lived with a male before, and that he is from her birth kennel was what tipped it for me.
  7. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Harsh as it sounds you have to discount the example of Cujo, as Reiko was raised with him. He was most probably a father figure for her, he probably taught her all the ropes and checked her when she needed it like a parent or older sibling. Its unlikely she will ever see another male Akita the same way as she saw Cujo, and probably a lot safer for her that she doesn't.

When I brought my Akita pup home my Husky tried to rip her out of my arms and most probably shake her to death, he had to be physically pushed into another room for her safety, and he was raised as a pup with a female husky 4 years his senior, she loved him to bits from day one.

My point is that even with his super positive relationship with his "mother figure", it played no part in his initial reaction to Luna, an 8 week old female. It took a lot of supervision for me to trust him with her. The fact that she grew to his size in no time at all helped a great deal too.

All I'm saying is if it were me, I'd get Reiko an Akita puppy to care for instead, it would be a lot smoother of a transition for her and a lot easier for you too in the long run. She would more than likely have the maternal relationship with a puppy that Cujo had with her.

Good luck in what ever you decide, but either way we need more Akita pictures round these parts lol.