Adopting a second Malamute Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Anghel, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Anghel

Anghel New Member

Name:
    Anghel

Adopting a second Malamute

Hello all! I am in need of advice. I have a 7 month old unneutered male Alaskan Malamute. We live in a 1 floor townhouse (English isn’t my first language sorry! Not sure what its properly called)
    I am interested in adopting a female unspayed 1 and half year old Alaskan Malamute. I’ve had her in my house for 3 days just to test how she behaves around my male. So far they play well and take their energies out in each other. However the female is extremely energetic and my male is not, she pesters him to play with him which leads to my male aggressively warning her off. My male occasionally tries to hump her as well. He is a giant and she is fairly small compared to him. I’m still in college and am away for 8 hours on weekdays. I will have to leave them in separate rooms, however I’m afraid my male will accidentally hurt her. Should I go through with adopting her? I could wait and see how their relationship develop and hope they get used to each other? Or will the aggression continue and risk injuring her?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It doesn't really sound as if you have suitable accommodation for two large Working breed dogs, and leaving them for eight hours is only going to lead to problems eventually - if only with your neighbours. What arrangements have you made for when the bitch is in season - which could be anytime now? Do you realise that a dog can claw through internal doors to reach a bitch in season, and howl if he is unable to reach her?
    I'm sorry to say that it is a big NO from me.
  4. Anghel

Anghel New Member

Name:
    Anghel
    If I decided on adopting her I would have gotten her spayed. Even then my male would still be a tad agressive and I don’t have enough money to spay and neuter the two dogs. Not to mention I don’t know if my dog will keep being agressive after being neutered. I am leaning on a “No” as well. But I just feel bad for the female. But I am definitely putting her safety first.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    NO
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Anghel likes this.
    It’s sounds to me that you already answered your own question by asking it.
    Enjoy the time you have with your boy that you have
  7. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    i too would suggest not adopting on this occassion.
  8. petsi12

petsi12 New Member

Name:
    Jina Alas
    Yes. Adopting is also a serious matter . you need to see all odds.
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I was thinking about your “ dilemma.” yesterday, have you made any decisions yet ?