Shaking Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Freebird1988, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Freebird1988

Freebird1988 New Member

Name:
    Ruth

Shaking

Hi all,

New to the forum so I’ll introduce myself.

I’m ruth and I recently (November) took on a jack Russell named Deefar. He belonged to a friend who was taken into hospital and we dog sat while he was in however he sadly died so we have kept the dog with his families blessing.

He seems to have settled well. He is nearly 13 but in good health, slight arthritis in his hind legs but this is under control. He had tummy problems (sick every day) for a short while but a vet trip and a good kibble has sorted that too. He is also unneutered.

He is a happy little chap, very affectionate and full of fun. You would never guess his age!

My one concern is that sometimes he starts shaking and appears unsettled. This is mainly at my mums house. Although I’ve noticed it once or twice in other places (at home once, in the car) but not very often. We had my partners little boy with us last time it happened who as a typical 3 year old is loud and jumps about a lot. However this has never affected deefar at home.

I’m guessing it’s some sort of anxiety but I can’t work the cause out. Has anyone got any advice they could offer?

Thank you in advance x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Jacks can get the 'shivers' when they are excited. Could this be the case with Deefer?
  4. Freebird1988

Freebird1988 New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Hopefully! It does seem to be when there’s lots of things that would stimulate him!

I forgot to add that st these times he has tried to hide behind the sofa......? He still wags his tail but holds it lower and wags it faster, not a happy wag.

Thank you for your reply x
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    How lucky is Deefer to have landed into a happy house
    I suspect all the things that are going on with him at the moment will be quite normal behaviour for a dog that has gone through lots of changes
    If he is eating and drinking well then everything else will sort itself given time. My dog is 14 months old and I saw him shake/shiver for the first time last week, I knew from the situation he was in ( noisey approaching traffic ) that was because he was frightened/anxious.
    Chris’s previous comment is interesting, it may be worth a little more research whilst someone else can offer some insight
    By the way, his name Deefer, is that Deefer Dog ( D for Dog ) ?
  6. Freebird1988

Freebird1988 New Member

Name:
    Ruth
    Yes D for Dog!

Thank you for your reply. As it’s not something that happens very often I’m hoping it’s nothing to be too worried about. As I said he’s usually a happy little chappy!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Ruth, you have done a wonderful thing giving Deefer a new home, especially as he is not a youngster. May you all have a long and happy life. Tikva and I welcome you to Breedia :039:

The tiny feral kitten I rescued when the grandchildren of friends where I was for lunch turned up with this tiny scrap and everyone said "get that thing out of here", I said "oh you poor little Kattypuss" and put her in my pocket. So her name was Kat but she crossed the fields and the main road once too often.

Anyhow, Tikva, my little dog, shivers with excitement while she waits for me to sort out her evening meal. That is the only time she shivers and the only reason and time why.

Shiver shiver, come on Mommy, hurry up, shiver shiver.
  8. gzhpcu

gzhpcu New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Picollo shivers when excited. Nothing to worry about. :)