New Google advertisements Help!

Discussion in 'Help / Suggestions' started by Malka, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

New Google advertisements

These are now appearing at the bottom of each page, to the right of where it has "Official Threads" even though I have Adblock Plus because like many other people I do not like have advertisements isturbing the use of special sites.

Is there any reason for that and is there anything that can be done to stop them? Some of them are definitely unsuitable for a site like Breedia where young people can see them.

Thank you - Juli
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have adblock and I am not getting adverts, the box is blank .
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is strange. It does not bother me too much as it is right at the end, but with Adblock Plus it should not show.

And it has only happened since Windows 10 did an upgrade a couple of days ago.

I have a nasty feeling that Microsoft are trying to take over everything that does not belong to them - they have disabled most of the Firefox Add-ons but why all of a sudden are these advertisements occurring on Breedia? And they are mostly from sites I have visited in the past?

And Adblock is let them show on Breedia.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I doubt it is where you have visited before, as the two I currently have showing are for over 50's dating, and polytunnels. I have never visited a dating site, and my closest association with polytunnels is being a dedicated Archers listener!
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I am using windows 7, don't know if that would make a difference
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No idea Vee - I upgraded from W7 to W10 when it was first offered and so far have been very happy with it. It does upgrade when it decides it needs to but this last upgrade has done some nasties regarding Add-ons and now I am getting advertisements on Breedia?

They are not the end of the world, although two of my Firefox Add-ons are causing my problems. It is like Microsoft is trying to take over even Firefox now, but what do I know.

I use Firefox. I want to keep using Firefox. Chrome does not have any of the Add-ons that Firefox did, and when I checked Breedia on Chrome, which also has Adblock Plus, I still got the advertisements.

I can cope, ignoring the advertisements, but wondered if it was only me. And why.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have been keeping a watch on these ads and two - only two - are from sites I have used [both Chinese] but they are innocuous which could appear anywhere. They would not offend anyone so if I cannot get rid of them it is not a problem.

What IS a problem though is that I am getting adverts for over 50's - like Carole has had, and now I am getting adverts for "special" sites.

Why, all of a sudden are these appearing on Breedia? The adverts say they are Google advertisements. And Microsoft has now cancelled most of the Firefox Add-ons.

@GsdSlave - Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft in, I believe, April - I upgraded to W10 once they had finished their Beta program and offered W10 as a free upgrade. I am very happy with W10 but something strange is happening and until Effi has time to find out what is happening I will have to wait to find out why I am getting adverts on Breedia when I have Adblock Plus functioning.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am still on Win 7 too, and Android on the tablet. I ignore the ads, but the ones which I have to delete from my email programmes drive me MAD!!
    There have been one or two graphic posts which turned up on Dogsey News recently. I now do not click on anything that appears to come from Russia.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My email program is Thunderbird - used to be a part of Mozilla [Firefox is Mozilla] but is no longer. And it is rare that I get a dodgy email as Thunderbird marks things as spam if they do not recognise or are suspicious of emails they do not like. I can, of course, mark them as not spam if I want, but as I say, it is rare that anything gets through. And I never open anything I do not recognise.

And so far this morning I have not had any Google advertisements at the bottom of Breedia. :confused:

[I hope that is not famous last words...]
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won’t end until January 14, 2020
    .http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you for that info Vee - it seems that information keeps changing. I am still glad I changed to W10 when I did, as I like it and it has some built in programs W7 did not have - and so far today I have still not had any Google [or other] adverts on Breedia.

All sorts of odd things happen though, and I am so computer illiterate that I have no idea why those Google ads appeared and now seem to have disappeared.

I need Effi to come and check a few things, nothing serious, but he is away at the moment, so if something does a whoopsie, like these unexpected ads, I need Effi. He builds my computers therefore he sorts them out!
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Netflix and Joint Supplements on Breedia ads. today, but tbh I don't usually scroll down that far down the page.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have no idea about Netflix, whatever it is - but whatever it is I do not want it.

So far so good and no adverts on Breedia.

Yet,
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No ads again today. Weird. They appeared and now they have gone. :102:
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The advertisements are appearing again. Today's is from an online company I do buy from, and I cannot get rid of it. Adblock or no Adblock.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You could try messaging Azz about it, but I had a peep and he doesn't seem to have been around since mid January. I wonder if he has caught the flu bug too? Or got BT problems!
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Doubt it - BT are concentrating all their energies on me!
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think I have solved the problem. I had - still have - Adblock Plus, but have now installed AdBlock [with a capital B] which is a Chrome Add-on although I have added it to Firefox as it well. It is the icon with a hand on it whereas Adblock Plus has ADP on the icon. Anyhow, it seems to be doing what ADP had always done.

So, hopefully no more annoying ads.