Itching Diet

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Bellaroonie, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace

Itching

Hi I'm after some advise on which is the best food for a frenchie with allergies. I've tried so many types. Some have made her worse than others but none have stopped her from itching. The vets prescribe Puriton and steroids but I would really like to find a diet that that doesn't make her itch..... Any suggestions please? X
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Try her on Wafcol Salmon and Potato.

It's what a lot of vets advise to use as an elimination diet as the protein is novel - fish not meat - and most foods have grains instead of potato so again is novel.

Give her nothing else and see if the itching goes away after 2-3 weeks. If it does, then you can try adding other foods one at a time to see what it is she is reacting to
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hello Grace, welcome to the forum.
    What are you feeding your Frenchie at present?
    If you are a kibble user, I would say choose a grain free brand which has the protein source as the main ingredient. To try and rule out the protein being one of the allergens, I would pick a variety that she hasn't had before. Pets at Home have a grain free brand called Wainwrights, which has lesser used rabbit and white fish varieties. One of these might be worth trying. Avoid all of the supermarket packet type treats, which are full of wheat, sugars and colourings - she may enjoy carrot or cabbage heart 'bones', or you could use some of the grain free treats available in larger pet stores.

We have raw feeders on the site who would support you if you felt that you might like to try this route. It needn't be as scary as it used to be, now that you can buy ready mixed raw diets - even in Tesco! These are more expensive, but for one small dog, not too bad. Whatever you try, give it at least a months trial, as the body needs time to adjust, change does not happen overnight.

If all else fails, read up on a drug called Apoquel, and see what you think. I believe it can have side effects, but has suited some dogs really well.

Sorry @Chris B, another simultaneous post, but maybe more options.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Welcome to the group, it’s a great place for advice & usually you get it quite quickly.
    As an add on to what Carole says about supermarket treats, if you are inclined I have seen on line recipes for making your own, that way you can pick and choose your ingredients
    May be worth a go !
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Grace and welcome to you and your Frenchie to Breedia from Tikva and me :039:

I do not know anything about food allergies or about any type/brand of kibble or any other dog food, as I am a raw feeder.

But as @CaroleC said - "We have raw feeders on the site who would support you if you felt that you might like to try this route. It needn't be as scary as it used to be, now that you can buy ready mixed raw diets - even in Tesco! These are more expensive, but for one small dog, not too bad. Whatever you try, give it at least a months trial, as the body needs time to adjust, change does not happen overnight."

However I am a 100% raw feeder so do not know anything about ready mixed raw diets, I only know what I feed. But I will help you as much as I can with any queries you have. All I can suggest at the moment is no left-over human food. No dog "treats" especially no smoked chews.

I do not know what the drug Apoquel is although I could look it up - but I do not like the idea of feeding a dog a drug when the itching could be sorted if it is food-related. And I definitely do not like the idea of steroids.

Good luck for a good outcome.
  7. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
  8. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Hi I'm currently on arden Grange sensitive grain free, fish and potatoe and her itching is getting really bad. Just don't know what to try next from here as the one you suggested is quite expensive and very similar to what she's on now.... .
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Are you sure it’s the food? Have you had a blood test or skin scrape done to test for parasites, bacteria ect: There are many reasons that could cause itching,environmental ect:
  10. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Hi yes the vet cut some hair and sent it off but came back all OK. I've not had an allergy test done as so expensive. I'm 90% sure it's food related as some affect her worse than others. I thought in the summer it could have been pollen but it's just as bad now. My husband did see a allergy test on line for humans where you send hair off, we are concidering that out of desperation. ..
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As @GsdSlave said, "do not waste your money on a hair Analysis".

Even a skin scrape is not an 100% diagnosis for a possible allergen.
    As for allergy test on line for humans where you send hair off, we are concidering that out of desperation. ..

Forget it.
  13. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Hi I did try raw feeding but I found it tricky as I wasn't sure what I was doing, also I found it quiet expensive and Bella was still itching however I was giving her a mix of sweet pot, rice, carrots, pasta and that mince from pets at home so if she s allergic to grain I was probably wasting my time...
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Grace, I am sorry but I do not know anything about the ready mixed raw food from Pets at Home or any other prepared raw food.

I am a raw feeder by which I mean I feed fresh raw food and vegetables, etc, not ready prepared mixed raw food from Pets at Home or any other company that sells prepared "raw" food.

I will help you as much as I can, as much as I know and understand, but I do not know anything about "preparated" "raw" food from Pets at Home or any other such food.
  15. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Hi thank you for your advise, I did try wainwright's grain free but no luck. It could be possible that I'm not giving the foods enough time....
    She's on arden Grange sensitive fish and potatoe at the mo which I had really high hopes for but she's itching like mad.....
    I will look into raw feeding again as it could be the answer
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hope so. It must be so frustrating for her.
    I have no first hand experience, but I have heard that oatmeal shampoos can be helpful, though it is not an ideal time to try that.
    Just general interest - is your Frenchie a blue?
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You have to give it for a couple of weeks at least for to have any effect,make sure you give no other food or titbits.
  18. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Sorry to hear of your dogs discomfort. I feed my little man a raw diet and have never had any problems. I have read everyone's previous posts and couldn't suggest any more than they already have. But i hope it gets resolved quickly, as there's nothing worse than seeing a dog suffering/uncomfortable! I would contact the breeder and vet to see if they could provide useful information?
  19. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Yes she is. ....
  20. Bellaroonie

Bellaroonie New Member

Name:
    Grace
    Ahhhh your Bronson looks just like my Bella! So.. .... Today I've been out and brought sweet potatoe, carrots and chicken thighs..... What do you feed yours please?
  21. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Raw diet. A mix of different types ranging from chicken, beef, tripe, lamb with veg etc. Get it from natural instinct online.