Bad Behavior Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by eimmij, Apr 27, 2018.

1. eimmij

eimmij New Member

Name:
    Jimmie

Bad Behavior

I have a four month old female ESS. While she is full of energy, she rarely exhibits other than playful aggression and is typically docile and loving. With one notable exception. She rides with me in the passenger seat of my truck and while in motion she stays calm and content. But when I stop to get out, say at the grocery store, she comes unglued! Barking wildly, charging into my lap, and trying to get out. I literally have to fight her off and, even at only 16 pounds, she can be formidable. Once I escape and close the door she is fine. She does not bark or carry on while I'm gone, just watches out the window for me.

Any suggestions on how to address this behavior would be sincerely appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B and GsdSlave like this.
    I would use a dog seat belt. When she realises that she can't hype herself up by jumping around, she should soon learn to settle. Belted is a much safer way to travel in a two-seater anyway - for both of you.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I agree with the above.

While you can train her to be calm while you get out the car, it's far safer for her to be secured whilst travelling and can even help the training along. Win-win situation
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    @Malka That is just a connecting strap, and would still require the harness to be of crash tested quality. As the dog would be travelling in the front passenger seat, it needs to be doubly secure in case of impact. The dog could be catapulted through the windscreen if there was a harness or attachment failure.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC - I had not thought as on the rare occasion Tikva and I travel in a car we always sit in the back. With both Lexi [who was not much bigger but a lot calmer] and Pereg, I used to put the car seatbelt through their harnesses. I still put the seatbelt through Tikki's harness but use the connecting strap as well - belt and braces - because she is a Houdani and could wriggle out of anything less.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    In our new (GB) 2018 Highway Code, it has been deemed illegal to travel with an unsecured dog in a vehicle. They are supposed to be either secured, or suitably crated, and the quoted maximum fines are in the thousands of pounds.
    I'm not even sure how legal the tailgate is in our bigger car, but the little car, - which only does two miles a day, with Merry in a soft crate and Ed tucked in alongside on his Vetbed, - would definitely be classed as illegal.
    I don't think the majority of people even know that there has been a change in the rules, our govt. seems to think you can inform people by osmosis!
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It’s really confusing, this article claims
    So while breaking the Highway Code doesn't carry a direct penalty, drivers could still be pulled over for driving without due care and attention. https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/what-law-say-driving-dog-106030
    This one says
    if you do have an accident caused by becoming distracted by your pet while driving it carries a on spot fine of £100 and three penalty points. This can increase to a £5,000 and nine penalty points, if your case goes to court and could end up invalidating your insurance.
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/809385/driving-with-pet-law-rules-car-insurance-fine

I think it’s terrible that there is no legal requirement for vehicle harness for dogs to be car crash tested the same tests as human seatbelts
    Most manufacturers who say their seatbelts are crash tested don't tell you exactly what tests were performed or how their seatbelts performed and what constitutes to pass or fail.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris B likes this.
    What did we do before there were no baby seats?
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    My daughter, plus various dogs, rolled around on old sofa cushions in the back of a Reliant Regal!

When I worked at Kaitonia, (Chi's and Dobes), in the 50's, there used to be lots of midweek evening shows - often above pubs. We helpers used to travel in the back of the van with the Dobes, and sitting on their straw. We would be dropped off at the bus terminus afterwards, and have to pull all the bits of straw off our clothing before getting the bus.
    Those were great days.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry @eimmij I seem to have hijacked your thread. Will try not to do it again.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Club members used to hire a mini bus and we all piled into that, or sometimes we shared someone’s old van, was hit and miss if we got there and back.:lol:
  15. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    There are seatbelt laws here for people, but it's just a money maker. If people don't want to wear them, it should be down to their choice. It's only their life that's being risked. But the city makes more money fining people for not wearing them.

There are no ordinances for dogs and likely never will be. Nigredo rides in the backseat just sitting on the seat. His crate doesn't fit into a 1999 Camry. Never even heard of a dog seatbelt. Definitely never used one.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We would hire coaches for the Ch. Shows, which picked up along the motorway. In those days you could leave your car safely, and for free, at the services. (The only damage I ever had was a missing VW badge during the Beastie Boys craze). There was always so much to chat about, we really got to know other exhibs, and learnt so much about their breeds.
    I remember one Olympia Crufts when we had to return in thick fog. The trip organiser actually walked ahead of the coach for part of the journey home.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    We have a seatbelt law here too and it is one that tends to be enforced. I think it's a good one alongside the law against using mobile 'phones in vehicles.

Rosie sits in the back seat at the side of me and wears a seatbelt strap and harness. It gives her safety and me peace of mind
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Mobile phone laws exist here. They need to be enforced. Not wearing ones seatbelt risks only their own life. Dealing with a phone whilst driving risks the lives of OTHERS. Totally different things. You should be able to risk your own life without penalty IMO. Do we fine people for consuming too much sodium, which is a risk to their health and life? Nope! We even totally allow smokers to endanger the health and lives of themselves AND others (I stand behind ALL laws banning smoking), but we fine people for not wearing a seatbelt? Nope, no logic to that at all. Just to make extra coin.
  19. eimmij

eimmij New Member

Name:
    Jimmie
    I appreciate all the concern about proper restraint, I in fact use a proper dog restraint while in motion. But I would really appreciate it someone might have a suggestion as to my original question; how to work on the near violent behavior when I try to exit the car. I do not want to leave the dog restrained while I'm in the grocery store.
  20. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Start on your drive. Get in the car and put on her restraint. Take off her restraint but don't exit the car. Put on the restraint again and keep repeating until she is fine with this. The can take a few sessions.

Move on from there to opening the door just a crack when you unclip her. Again, repeat, repeat, repeat until she is calm when this happens. This again can take a few sessions for complete calm.

Move on to fully opening the door then as above repeat

Move on to getting out and getting straight back in then as above repeat

Move on to a few steps from the car then back again

Move onto driving and stopping to get out working through slowly as above

The process is sometimes very quick to establish, sometimes a little longer