That's that for another year - Phew General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, May 7, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

That's that for another year - Phew

Both ThreeBees and The Super Apollo [large upright freezer and large fridge/freezer respectively] have an air-cooled system so never need defrosting, however Pereg's freezer is just a regular one that needs defrosting. Because it is only opened once a day, to get Tikva's breakfast out and to get whatever meat needing to be defrosted for her evening meal, and/or when I put freshly frozen stuff in, it only needs defrosting once a year.

But I forgot to do it until the top drawer stuck when trying to get something out of it :oops: although I did manage to get it [and the other drawers] out, so unplugged it and shoved towels in the bottom so it did not flood the floor. Luckily I had a linen basket full of towels ready to be washed which ended up soaking wet, one after the other. They are now in the washing m/c but I will not do them until tomorrow as it is mid-afternoon and by the time the cycle is done there will not be enough time for them to dry - and no way will I leave the dryer switched on overnight.

Pereg's freezer is now nice, frost-free and dry, so the drawers and what is in them are now safely tucked up in it.

And that is that until the next time! :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I haven't defrosted mine for well over a year. I have broken the fronts on two of the drawers when they became iced up. The trouble is that it is never empty, and I have nowhere to decant the contents to while I do it. Why do I never remember to do it when we have snow and ice?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    None of mine are ever empty - well, I do keep the two top sections of ThreeBees empty as they do not have drawers and are for freezing. The top one has a door that lifts up, the second one has a door that opens downwards. Those are for when I have a load of stuff to freeze - Mikhaël having sent 2 kg of turkey necks and 2kg of chicken wings on Friday and I packed and froze those yesterday - then transferred into Pereg's freezer.

The thing is that as soon as something starts to run low I replace it and I tend to buy in bulk when possible. Just in case...

What I do with the drawers in Pereg's freezer is wheel my shower chair into the back room where the freezer is, load the full drawers onto it, cover them with an old blanket, and take it back into the ensuite. And then back when the freezer is ready!

As everything is frozen hard it means I can put the drawers back in and plug it in again as soon as the interior is dry, without having to wait for the temperature to drop.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes. No excuses really, I must do it very soon.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I’m guilty of throwing things in without stock rotation,so, it’s always a surprise at what I find when we de frost !
    But, wher do all those floose frozen peas come from !
    I never find any odd socks though, the washing machine seems to eat a sock or two over the year, but, that’s another story !
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How about doing it as a birthday treat? ;)
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know what is in the drawers in ThreeBees because I keep similar items together in each drawer, and I do keep a note of what is taken out - sometimes. The same with Pereg's freezer. Opened packs of frozen veggies [apart from Tikva's mixed veggies] are put in another bag, closed with a clip, and kept in The Super Apollo, and "borrow" shelf space with both Tikki's and my two shelves - whichever has space.

My weakness :oops: is not marking/labelling containers of cooked meat and/or fish that I keep in the freezer compartment of The Super Apollo :oops:. The top shelf has containers with Tikva's veggies [a kilo bag of mixed frozen veggies goes into five containers, each one lasting two days] and re-hydrated dried raw food - for emergencies. The middle and bottom shelves have my cooked frozen the meat and/or fish for myself as I cook in bulk, plus various soups. And those are the containers I frequently forget to label. :oops: It is open one and guess the frozen contents!

It is not that I am fanatically organised, just that it makes life easier for me to know what is where.
    My washing machine does not eat socks [or bras or nikkies] and the one sock that I "lost" turned up in a pillow case that had eaten it while in the dryer!
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes. My B'day is September. That should give me enough time to get into the mood.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    You have a washing machine that doesn't eat socks!!!!?????

Make and model please :)
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The only thing it eats Chris, is dirt and fluff - easy to clean the fluff out as there is a little door-like thingy at the bottom of the front, which opens downwards, then the thingy wot traps the fluff can be pulled out and cleaned. Oh, but it needs a small container under the open door-like thingy to catch any water.

Make - all it says on it is Capacite Variable Automatique. It is a top-loader rectangular which sits sideways in the alcove next to ThreeBees. A top loader which has an opening for washing to be put in and taken out - the drum going round like a normal front loader.

No plumbing needed as the inlet hose screws onto a cold-water tap [the m/c does have a heater of course, not that I ever use it] and the outlet hose hooks into an outlet pipe which, presumably, goes down to the drains. Both of those are above it - at least here they are. This is typical of washing machines here in Israel as most places do not have the space for a front loader.

Advantage is that it fits perfectly where it is and has a massive capacity. Disadvantage is that typical washing machines sold here do not have a very fast spin - mainly because most of the year washing can be hung outside and dry quickly. I do not hang stuff out but after I did the washing this morning it took just one hour in the dryer for the lot to be nice, dry, and lovely and soft. That was two large bath towels, six good size hand towels, and a humungous towelling bathrobe [man-size which I bought in a sale].

Perfect for me Chris but somehow I do not think it would be suitable for England!

And for what it is worth, I have lived in Israel since August 1985 and bought my first w/m a couple of months later. It finally packed up shortly after I moved into this bungalow in 2000 [after having been heaved onto a truck and moved five times] and I bought this one. The original one was put on the pavement outside, and was picked up within less than an hour - our version of Freecycle!!!