Both dogs blowing their coat General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by who owns who, Jul 1, 2018.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.

Both dogs blowing their coat

What was I thinking??? I have fur everywhere. Katie Mae is getting better about being brushed, she has enough and walks away, but I call her and she comes right back for more. Bandit does not do that... I do think he enjoyed watching KM getting brushed. KM likes to try and eat the tufts of fur. She’s back at my feet, I think I’ll brush her a bit more. Bandit is outside and he’s definitely not voluntarily coming back in..
    She wasn’t as willing to be brushed more, went outside, but is already back inside. I’ll call it a day on brushing and sweep.
    I love my Akitas but the blowing of the coat is rather intense. You brush and brush and it keeps coming out. Kind of like clowns coming out of a Volkswagen Bug.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Small dogs usually stand quietly on a table to be groomed, and it drives me MAD when the larger breeds keep walking away. I have a blunt hook, (the type used for hanging a centre light chain), fixed to the outside wall, and attach a short lead to keep the front end steady.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  5. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Idk how you deal with two! Kuma is blowing out like crazy right now. He's pretty good, but after 5-6 minutes he gets really fidgety.

Do you by chance know if water is a catalyst to make em blow quicker? I only ask because me and kuma have been working a lot with his off leash training and we have a local river that i let him off leash and he runs up and down and has the time of his life, but i noticed that his shedding has gone off the charts as a result.
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Georgina's been moulting like crazy but she always does at this time of year. You can pull her fur out by the hand full and naturally being a cream colour, it shows up on the carpets and sofa.

Fortunately Gwylim like all Miniature Schnauzers hardly sheds at all, but the downside with him is that his coat grows quickly and he needs a trip to the groomer every 10/12 weeks for a "short back and sides"!

I suppose I'm lucky with my two because they both love being brushed and will stand still until I've done.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bathing/swimming will loosen the dead hair in the undercoat, and when they dry out its even worse as there is loads more hair.
    My garden looks like it has tumbleweed blowing everywhere and indoors I have little herds of sheep running around the living room, hiding under tables, chairs and every corner it can find.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Nigredo is shedding like crazy now too. He's a Labramutt. He's got quite a bit of Pyrenees in him too. I gave him a bath yesterday and MAN it's bad. He still needs more brushing. I'm surprised he isn't bald after all the hair that came out.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Shortly after I got Bandit I cleaned up the interior of my truck. I took off panels and got into crevices.. Well I still had quite a bit of my last dog.. Amazing all the places that fur got into..
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Mine don’t particularly like water. They will get their feet and legs wet but dont like getting any deeper. Of course mine are on leash so they can only go so far. Most of their water experience is the ocean, and they both run from the surf.. it’s pretty funny. They will not be getting off lead anywhere that isn’t fenced, ever. They have enough room at home to run and stretch their legs.

I was able to brush my last dog for 1/2 hour at a time, with no fuss and no treats needed. Once it was 1/2 hour he’d had enough. I’m hoping over time that Bandit and Katie Mae will become more tolerant of being groomed (silly dogs, it’s for their own good).

If I time a bath right, towards the end of the cycle, it loosens up most of the remaining undercoat. I think we are at the point, baths for both sometime this week.
  11. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    The word moulting is a perfect description. You can pull handfuls out of mine at times too. You are lucky that they love to be brushed. Mine won’t even stand the whole time.. None of the dogs I’ve had enjoyed being brushed.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    The tumbleweed in the garden and the herds of sheep inside.. I’m laughing
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I wish my hair stayed as thick as my dogs!! All the shedding comes with the breed I love, oh well.. We really do love our dogs to put up with all the fur. Mine shed year round and blow their coats twice a year..

I had to go to a memorial service recently and I put sweatpants on over my nice pants for the drive, and put my button shirt on when I got there...
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    The Beagles are losing more glitter due to the hot weather, but, as a breed, they are well known for moulting all year round. I never wear anything decent around the house - I change to go out, then back into my scruff when I come home. Sometimes I change my clothes five times a day ......
  15. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    M'boi used to be 10 worse for shedding than Georgina. When I got rushed to hospital with a fractured leg, the first thing the doctor said was "I see you own dogs"!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Ahem [says she quietly...] I must be the lucky one then as Tikki does not moult!
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    As Heiko’s got old he doesn’t like being groomed so much and is a real grump so I have to do it in stages, this is from his back legs, tail and trousers, by the time ive done his body and front the back will be bad again. 3.PNG
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sooner you than me Vee - I do not think that my little vacuum cleaner could cope with that!
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Funnily enough mine died a death about three weeks ago, it had already had new motor, brushes ect: under warranty.
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I had no idea beagles mounted, from there appearance I wouldn’t have thought so