Akita pulling on lead when he see's another dog Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Maldo321, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony

Akita pulling on lead when he see's another dog

Morning Everyone,

My 8 month akita pup Kuma recently had an altercation with a German Shepard whose owner let him slip out of his collar. The two got into it and my typically very passive beta dog realized he's not so little anymore and can hold his own with other large/older dogs.

Since that altercation he's started pulling harshly at the site of other dogs, previously he would pull a little and id give him a sharp deep "hey" with a pulse on the lead and we'd be on our way. Now he's less responsive to his training in this regard and sometimes takes a minute or two to regain his composure and keep the walk moving.

Any tips or ideas how i can break this? I know 7-9 months is a tough time because they're starting to figure out their size and assert themselves as alpha, but there's only room for one alpha in his life ha

thanks,
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    How annoying for you, I can empathise
    Our Akita was attacked 4 times in his first year by off lead dogs. As you already know the are a complex breed and dominance is high on their list of traits, it’s a tough one and we battle with it everyday, slightly anxious on our walks and delighted when you arrive home without any altercations
    He is 18 months and super strong, what we find helps is distraction if we spot others dogs first, I have a tub of raw, stinky sardines, with that I encourage him to sit a feed him with them until the “ offending “ item has passed.
    Some dogs we can sail past, some he see from a distance and is already ready to have a go, there doesn’t seem to be any pattern in his dis like, but, once he decides he doesn’t like them there is no amount of sardines that can cahange his mind, so, at that point it’s a matter of “ hold tight “ and fingers crossed
    I think most Akita owners have this problem at times
    I took a friends 2 dogs out for a walk a month or so ago, it was an absolute drea, bumbling around with them
    My walks with Yoji are done with military precision and I do like my hubby coming along as my “ spotter “
    I’ll follow you post and try any tips that are suggested !
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Been there when I had my akitas. Temperaments vary depending on breeding and environment but they are known for being aggressive to strange dogs and despite proper training, we cannot completely undo basic nature, he may well always be wary around strange dogs and it’s a case of learning to ‘manage it.

When you see another dog approaching, get his attention ‘before’ he reacts, (as once he has kicked off you have lost the battle) adjust your direction to keep a distance he is happy with and just walk calmly/ confidently past, talking to him to keep his attention, or turn and redirect with some heelwork.
    If a loose dog approaches block it off by standing in front of him.

As an aside the Alpha’ theory has been debunked.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    I had to deal with an off lead dog yesterday. I am always looking ahead (and behind too) while walking. I pretty much walk my dogs like I drive, I figure that it’s all on me to make sure we are safe and avoid accidents, assuming everyone else doesn’t know what they are doing.. So this dog was approaching and I had noticed in the distance that it was not leashed. My nephew was visiting again so he had the puppies leash. I told him to go to my right with Katie Mae. As we got close I was waving my hand at its owner to keep away, but she didn’t have voice control over the dog. Bandit did jump up and I caught him in my arms while pushing the other dog away with my foot. The other dog wasn’t aggressive, just seemed to want to say hi.. the owner apologized but I let her have it because I’m so sick of people’s dogs approaching mine without asking first. That’s just good dog edict, IMO. I said rather loudly that there is a leash law for a reason. We passed her again, this time her dog was on lead and no problems.

My dogs remain pretty calm and non reactive to other dogs unless the other dog makes some move first, but it’s still on me to control my dogs, which is often giving bandit a bear hug as I’ve caught him in my arms... I hate this situation.

I do the pulse on the lead when we are approaching other dogs too and say leave it as well. After we pass the other dog/s i tell them good dogs, and sometimes give them some pets. My dog is older so we’ve been doing this for longer, and the puppy has picked up on what is wanted from her in this situation. Just keep working on it. Sorry your boy got into a skirmish. Bandit hasn’t been in one for over a year, since I stopped trying to take him to the dog park. Most Akitas just aren’t that type of dog. I did stop walking them together for a while, as Katie Mae needed some leash training on her own, but now I’m walking both hooked together so only one leash.

Do you hook the lead to his collar or to a harness with a front clip. I personally love the harness with the front clip, I feel like it’s easier to control the pulling than with a collar.

I liked GsdSlave’s advice. Get his attention way ahead of time. Keep doing the pulse on his leash, keep his attention on you by talking to him, using whatever word/s you teach him. Stay calm. If you can, get him on the side of you which is opposite of approaching dog/s. Praise him after you have calmly/smoothly passed the other dog. Hope this helps a little and don’t expect him to master this all at once, or maybe even not completely ever... You chose an Akita, they are what they are...
  6. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you all for the responses!

I use a front clip harness, and i feel as if should clarify. His pulling isn't in an aggressive manner at all It's as if he wants to play, but if i allow him to do so I'm letting him know he gets what he wants by pulling. It seems that at this stage of his development he's very curious about everything, which is good, but comes with it's training challenges. But as with every other area of training consistency and patience win the day. I love my Akita and everything that comes with it and wouldn't trade him for the world.

I'll continue with my typical pulse and implement your and GSD's advice about getting his attention prior to him becoming reactive!
  7. ravingpate

ravingpate New Member

Name:
    ravingpate
    I have a problem with my Akita pulling I just bought a Large Dog Harness , now i must figure out how to put it on. You said you use a front clip harness?
    Is this what I bought??? please tell me I want to get the right one.
    Here is my Large Dog Harness (I linked to the one I got) if this is not the right one I will return it. Please let me know.
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I personally would get a harness that is more functional and less artsy... you could buy 10 more functional harnesses for the cost of that one.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Google Halti Front Clip Harness, (there are other similar makes). I think this is the type that @Maldo321 is meaning. Because of the danger of slipping backwards out of harnesses, I would either use with a standard collar and a linking piece, or use a double-ended training lead and clip to both the collar and the harness.
    Harnesses that don't have the front attachment - which acts by unbalancing the dog if it pulls - will just allow a large dog generate greater pulling power - think Sled Dog!
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    It’s interesting that your avatar picture is also on the website of the link you provided.
    https://romandogcollars.com/blog/
    Also the collar pictured in this thread https://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/dna-checked.17440/
    https://romandogcollars.com/product/lione-stud-collar/
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Feeling stoopid!
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So, are ravingpate and americanbulllover the same person, and are the avatar pictures his dogs or clipped images? That is a lovely Akita. I did wonder why he said that he was having trouble walking it when it looked so responsive..
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Could be a coincidence but when americanbullover posted a picture of a Cane Corso wearing a collar and asked where he could get a similar collar
    [​IMG]

ravingpate then posted
    As americanbullover did not give the name of the website, how did ravingpate know which website one it is? His website sells that collar...
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    This is the Akita http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/akita/dog.html?id=1668960-melodor-hotter-than-hell
    The picture ‘americanbulllover’posted appears to be from ‘San Rocco Cane Corsos.
    https://marketplace.akc.org/breeder/cane-corso-puppies-for-sale/cane-corso/145187

This is the trainer @ ravingpate recommended.
    https://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/belgian-malinois-mix.17821/page-2
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Detective Vee strikes again!
    She is a lovely bitch, and has the awards to prove it. I would be a bit put out if I found someone was using a picture of one of mine though.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli