Large Munsterlander Discussions

Discussion in 'Large Munsterlander' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. fayeCM

fayeCM New Member

Name:
    Faye
    I know it's an old thread, but thought I'd add my experience of LMs! :)

This is Lincoln
    [​IMG]

We got him when he was about 2 years old from the Large Munsterlander Rescue

He was a fab dog, couldn't fault him at all :007: sadly he died aged 5 of myasthenia gravis... not a common problem in the breed, just one of those things :cry:

I have to say that if anyone is considering LMs, then they should contact the rescue - they were amazing and often have dogs needing a home... I'd get another if I was still in the UK - can't seem to find any in Spain.
  4. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    He looks lovely.
    I know these are gundogs but are they any good at anything else, like fun agility or low level obedience.?
    I have been thinking of a rescue spaniel type for my next dog but do prefer bigger dogs.
    Do they have a similar personality to any of the spaniels?
  5. fayeCM

fayeCM New Member

Name:
    Faye
    From my experience, they're not nearly as wired as springers... personailty-wise, I'd say they are more similar to GSPs than spaniels.
    I think they'd be good at agility and obedience - they're supposed to be smart dogs, Lincoln was a bit of an exception bless him! :lol:
  6. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    Brilliant, when I can have an addition to the family I will keep them in mind and find out more about them.
    Thanks
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    They are actually very good at HIGH grade obedience, there is a lady I forget her name who I think is in C only with hers?

There have also been several LMs in Working Trials at least 2 with TDex.

So I think you will find that LMs, like most HPRs, are truly versatile and the only drawback they have is their handlers! :)
  8. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    Very interesting. Well Cookie is 8 at the moment and while he is good with familiar dogs he is much happier as an only dog and we want to go traveling... My point being I am hoping that by then I won't be as much of a drawback for any dog :grin: I am 100% certain that Cookie could have been much better at any of the areas I have done with him if he had a better, more knowledgeable handler.

I do like that you say they are versatile, as I don't like to stick to just one area. Cookie has done bits of a few things and he loves to try new things out with me.
    I will as always, keep learning.
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Lincoln looked fabulous :007: So sorry that you lost him so young :-(
    Our LM was much less excitable than our Springer but she was super intelligent and held focus really well.
  10. Lyndajw

Lyndajw New Member

Name:
    Lynda
    Sadly I no longer have my beautiful LM; cancer took her at 8 years old, but I will never forget how happy we were together. It broke my heart to lose her at such a young age. They are a wonderful loving breed, and I have owned many breeds in my life, but I think that she was the most bidable and most loving. She never caused me any problems with other animals including the human species. By the way, she was liver/white like my earlier Springers and very good looking. Thank you to Helen Evans for allowing me to have her.