Information wanted on Eurasiers Discussions

Discussion in 'Eurasier' started by DevilDogz, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I love Eurasiers, but only get to see them at Crufts generally. I always say hi to them on DD. They are like teddy bears!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    What were they bred for, just out of interest?

They just look like Chows to me tbh! :lol:
  4. Valdf

Valdf New Member

Name:
    Val
    Nooooooooo!!! How can you say they look like Chows??? Have you seen the pics of my Louis? (I've got nothing against Chows, but really . . . !)

Oh well, at least you've provoked me into replying so I get nearer to 20 posts :)

Val

Oh, they were bred to be companion dogs - pure and simple.
  5. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    :lol:
    Well if it makes you feel any better I know nothing about Chows, or Eurasiers! ;)

One last question, I promise! Just curious why a new breed was created for companionship, when there's already plenty to choose from already. No offence intended, it's just a lot of the time people frown upon dogs that aren't bred for a purpose these days and I wondered why these were any different. :)
  6. Valdf

Valdf New Member

Name:
    Val
    Hi

Not sure I can really answer that! The founder of the breed, Julius Wipfel, had very specific ideas about the dog he wanted to create: 'It should be a dog of polar type, with beautiful, attractive colours and a charming character that adapts well to our conditions. It should also be a breed type of its own, different from the Wolfspitz and the Chow-Chow.'

I guess his venture would be frowned upon by many today, but 50 years ago perhaps it was more generally acceptable. He had the backing of Konrad Lorenz and the whole programme was very carefully thought out and documented, with detailed records of exactly which dogs were mated to which. If you're interested, there's a history of the breed's early development here: http://www.eurasier-online.de/eurasier_geschichte_e.htm. It's rather long, but nice just to skim through and look at the photos if nothing else!

Val
  7. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Hi Val.

Louis is gorgeous, and thanks for the link you posted above, I'm going to go and have a good look at it.

Just a couple of questions. Though if you answer them with individual posts, you should be near enough the 20 required to use pm.

How much grooming do they require?
    How much exercise do they need?
    How big do they grow hight/weight?
    I know Dawn said she knew of one that wasn't good off the lead, is this common for the breed, or are they generally good.
    What are the breed like with other dogs?
    How about with other animals, cats, small furries, livestock etc?

Ok, so more than a couple of questions lol, but like I said, if you answer them individually you'll have more than 20 posts.
  8. pigeonairre

pigeonairre New Member

Name:
    alexandra
    Hi Val,
    I won't write too much on here as this is public - but we have heard about the plight of baloo who you have taken under your wing...please message me as I would love to discuss with you further.

Best wishes,

Alexandra
  9. neiljune

neiljune New Member

Name:
    neil
    hi every one
    i have three of these dogs and mine are very family orientated
    the best place for the origonal info is
    www.eurasier-online.de/eurasier_geschichte_e.htm

this will show you the oragins which states wolfspits/chow chow/samoyed
    enjoy
    neil
  10. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I saw a few of them at the Newark Country show and was quite taken, they seem to be about the same size as the Spitz xx They were quite sociable with each other but had a certain aloofness about them. All that grooming put me off them for me but none the less beautiful looking pooches :lol:
  11. Valdf

Valdf New Member

Name:
    Val
    Alexandra, I've only just seen your message. I can't PM you as neither of us has 20 posts, but if you reply to this I'm sure we can find a way. Val
  12. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Met a bunch of these when we were at all about dogs in newark. Our stand was nex to their stand :)

They were all very chilled and loved the attention, not over noisy either. Cassie wasnt very impressed though but that might be because she is a grumpy so and so LOL
  13. kezza30

kezza30 New Member

Name:
    Kerry
    :007: :007: :007:

I'm hoping to get a Eurasier myself, i've contacted alot of people and read up about them alot:grin:
  14. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    I have to say I'm really taken with this breed - looks and personality-wise.

Have to continue researching them I think x :grin: