Airedale grooming advice Grooming

Discussion in 'Airedale Terrier' started by shadowlandsbg, Mar 17, 2012.

1. shadowlandsbg

shadowlandsbg New Member

Name:
    Christine

Airedale grooming advice

Hello, I hope someone can help me :017:

My 7 month old Airedale is really needing a full strip but, due to other obligations, I cannot do it at this time. Is it OK for me clip her for now and do the strip when I am able (in about 6-8 weeks)? Will I damage her coat by using the clippers?

I am asking because I have a dim memory of someone saying that it is a problem.

Poor girl is suffering from the heat already (we have a mini heatwave here in Bulgaria at the moment with temps in the mid 70's already!), so I need to make her more comfy soon :)

Huge thanks in advance xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Hi, there is a good chance that clipping the coat will make it difficult to strip in the future, as clipping can damage wire coats. You need to decide on one method or the other. If you want to strip it, could you not just give her a going over with a coat king for now?
  4. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    If you clip now you might find you always have to and the coat may go back softer. Personally I wouldn't.
  5. shadowlandsbg

shadowlandsbg New Member

Name:
    Christine
    Thanks Loki's Mum :)

I don't have a Coat King, would a Furminator do the same kind of job? I had been thinking of getting a Coat King, but would have to get it from the UK as they haven't heard of them here in Bulgaria :p If I got one when I was over, what one would you recommend? (coming back to the UK is the reason I cannot give her a proper strip right now :p )

I am coming to the UK in 2 weeks to visit family and friends, have a check-up at the hospital and deliver 2 puppies to their new homes (not from the Airedale! :p ).
  6. shadowlandsbg

shadowlandsbg New Member

Name:
    Christine
    Thank you to you too Morganstar :) So, I was right in thinking it could do more harm than good...
  7. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    You'd probably find a furminator won't work well on an Airedale's coat. I don't know which coat king I've got because it was second hand, but it's quite coarse.