Any other IRWS here? Discussions

Discussion in 'Irish Red & White Setter' started by Setter Fan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Setter Fan

Setter Fan New Member

Name:
    Nicky

Any other IRWS here?

I've just joined Dogsey, what a mine of information and beautiful dogs it is! Having owned ESS, both working and show types for about 20 years, I'm a fairly recent convert to the wonderful world of Setters! I have one Irish Red and White entire male aged 2 and a half and his half-brother will be joining us in about a month.

The first two years of owning Fergus have been a very steep learning curve; I was very used to biddable stay-close-to-me spaniels and was initially unprepared for my into-the-next-county setter the minute he was off his lead, not to say totally knackered chasing after him! However, after lots of recall training, long-lining etc he is now brilliant though I am never as relaxed when out with him as I was with my spaniels!

I am, though, totally smitten with this funny, highly intelligent challenging, stubborn, affectionate, beautiful breed and can't wait to be put through the ringer once again when our new baby IRWS comes home. :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Not an irws but do have 3 working english setters. After owning pointers, i found them a bit easier and not wanting to be hunting in the next county :lol:

My old boss had an irws who really was nice. She took her on for grouse counting, as an adult, as she was gunshy. Lovely dog.

Helen
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    And would your IRWS be from the Swindon area......... ?
  5. Setter Fan

Setter Fan New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    No not Swindon but not a million miles from there :)

Sadly the Swindon IRWS kennel is no more so no longer breed but my new boy is sired by a dog of their breeding.
  6. Setter Fan

Setter Fan New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    I took Fergus to our local game fair a couple of weeks ago and apart from a few people who knew he was an IRWS, everyone else, without exception thought he was a working English setter, which surprised me. It made a pleasant change from the usual reaction though which is that he's a very big Welsh springer, or a springer x pointer, or a made-up designer breed!