Swedish Vallhund - anybody know much about them ? General Chat

Discussion in 'Swedish Vallhund' started by marley123, Nov 11, 2013.

1. marley123

marley123 New Member

Name:
    tom

Swedish Vallhund - anybody know much about them ?

i have been thinking about a second dog to keep marley company again, he seems a bit miserable at times on his own.
    i would love a german shepherd but a) i would struggle to feed a dog that size on the same diet as marley and b) marley wouldnt enjoy living with a big dog, i think he would like a dog the same sort of size to him,

afer crossing a few off the list i have come to the swedish vallhund, they look great, they are active and playful which marley would love, just wondering if anybody knows much about them,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv3-I9mfeps

a clip for people that dont know the breed :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Well aren't they fab!
    Like little stumpy legged wolves :007:

I know nothing about them lol... but now I want to know more ;)
  4. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    :shock: Has he had some jelly beans?:lol: :lol:
    Never seen one before,thankyou:grin: They are lovely:grin:
  5. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Dont know much about them but they are always the ones barking their heads off at Discover Dogs :lol:
  6. Jen

Jen New Member

Name:
    Jen
    My friend has a Swedish Vallhund cross. He's a really sweet boy but can be quite vocal. Very friendly with everything and also quite biddable. He does shed a lot though!
  7. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I've only met a couple, but both have been lovely: very bright and friendly.

What I find rather sad, is that if you look at pictures of Pembroke corgis from 50 or more years ago (try looking for pictures of the Queen as a young girl!) they look more like a corgi than a corgi!

Another breed you could look at is the Lancashire Heeler. They are a dual purpose, stock-moving and vermin-control dog and love to be given a task to do and are incredibly intelligent and trainable but real characters too....and take up even less room than a Valhund!
  8. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    a friend of mine has 2, Billy Bob who can be a stubborn so and so, and Maisie both real characters
  9. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Azz likes this.
    At one point I reseached Swedish Vallhunds to go with my GSDs as I know several GSD breeders who also have them. Indeed the Vallhund in the group at Crufts belonged to a lady who I knew when she & I met at GSD shows, They seem very happy dogs but with minds of their own. All th ones I've met seem happy to mix with other dogs. Only didn't have them as my circumstances changed,
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    I've only met one and she seemed fine, got on with my lot, although I had no clue what breed she was until I asked.