How hard is a Curly Coated Retriever's coat to maintain Grooming

Discussion in 'Curly Coated Retriever' started by Wyrd, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

How hard is a Curly Coated Retriever's coat to maintain

I am back again asking for info on Curly Coated Retrievers :lol:

I really like the look of these dogs, found a breeder in my town, but wanted to get more impartial info from people who have had dealings with the breed:)

I have read they can be a bit barmy, how barmy is barmy? (bearing in mind I own a border collie :lol: )

How hard is the coat to maintain?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. linny

linny New Member

Name:
    Linny
  4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Would like to know more about this breed too but is there anyone on Dogsey with one?
  5. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    There doesn't seem to be many people with them and they sound like such a good breed!
  6. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    I met a couple when I worked at a boarding kennel. They were super - calm, intelligent and friendly - even in kennels! I'd love to know more about them too as they seemed lovely from my brief encounters.
  7. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Anyone else know anything about this breed? A few of us want to know more! :grin:
  8. linny

linny New Member

Name:
    Linny
  9. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Thanks for the link:)

Think I have looked on every site going on curly coats now, they seem to be more popular in the USA than here although every USA site says they are hard to find and not very common.

Would still love some info from anyone that owns them. I may have to find out where the breeder local to me lives and go and wait outside her house till she walks them :lol:
  10. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
  11. sunshine123

sunshine123 New Member

Name:
    Lana
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi to all, I am new to this site and thought I would let you know my experiences with this breed. (From NSW, Australia)
    I have a beautiful 5 year old black Curly named Sturt.
    This is a very loyal, boistrious, excitable and highly affectionate breed. From my understanding and experience this breed are extremely playful and full on. The curly takes longer to mature then most other breeds. They say up to 3 years, but my curly is now 5 and has only recently begun to calm down. They are very strong willed and like to do what they want, the owner of a Curly needs to be a very stong person who has the ability to be the master otherwise this breed will walk all over you.

PUPPY: Like all puppies this breed is quite full on when young, very trainable if you are firm enough with them, but the thing is, it is like the puppy phase never ends. My family have always had Golden Retirevers and as an comparison Golden's are easier trained and they generally mature within 1.5 to 2 years. With the Curly, this is alot longer. They are very stubborn. My Curly is 5 and only settled within the last few months.

NATURE: Sturt is very good with my children 8yrs and 4yrs. He has never hurt them intentionally. Due to his large size, sometimes when he gets really excited he accidentally knock them over. Also due to his long legs they will often hit us or he will accidently scratch us when he is rolling over for a tummy scratch. They are definately a bit of a goof ball or aloof. always doing silly things.
    I don't know about other Curlies, but our boy is very skitish and does not take well to any loud noises, even a door blowing shut or something dropping on the floor.

TEMPERMENT:The breed is very affectionate, they like to be with you ALL THE TIME, they want to be involved with family activites. Can be very boistrious and excitable around visitors and strangers, which has been a problem for us in the past. Very good with other dogs.
    Has a very deep loud bark, only barks when people come near our house. Never barks when inside.

COAT MAINTAINENCE: this breed still needs to be brushed regulary. His curls are very tight and small, they are actually soft to touch though, not prickly at all. I find his hair matts easier then a striaght hair breed, due to the curls, the hair twists around itself and gets 'more' tangled. Breed is also prone to a hair loss issue of patchy bald spots, not sure of the cause, have not experienced this with our Curly. Need to wash or wet hair after brushing as does tend to go fuzzy or puffy after the brushing. In my experience, the breed do molt a 'LARGE AMOUNT' which I was suprised to see considering they have no undercoat. Don't be tricked into thinking they don't molt, because they do a great amount.

DIET: we give a large breed dry food to him which has added glucosamine and condroidon. Breed has a narrow chest and I have heard that makes them prone to stomach distortion, so I break his meals into 2 half size meals morning and evening.

EXERCISE: Only moderate level. Loves a walk, but not for too long, is usually tired within 30mins. He plays with the children for longer periods. Will only run short distances.

All in all, if you can get through the extended puppy phase and boistrious behaviour they deep down are a lovely, loyal and funny breed.

I hope this covers some of your questions, I went through the same problem before I bought this breed. Not alot of infomation from actual owners of Curlies available online.

ps: lol, always getting asked if he is a labradoodle, I love telling them he is a purebreed Curly Coated Retriever as not many people know of this beautiful breed.
  12. sunshine123

sunshine123 New Member

Name:
    Lana
    fieldy likes this.
    Just a quick add on, forgot to mention he is quite calm when he is by himself, gets boistrious when there are ANY people around and takes a long time to calm after they arrive.