Hip dysplasia Health

Discussion in 'Old English Sheepdog' started by Rebekah Knights, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Rebekah Knights

Rebekah Knights New Member

Name:
    Rebekah

Hip dysplasia

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy an Old English sheepdog puppy and the only thing I'm concerned about is the hip dysplasia. I was hoping someone could answer my questions.

How likely are they to get hip dysplasia?
    If their mum has hip dysplasia are they 100% going to get it?
    If their mum hasn't got it are they definitely not going to get it?

I thought it would be good to get an owner's point of view

Thanks, Rebekah
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    To make sure you buy a healthy pup you need to only buy from a breeder who has done relevant health screening on their breeding stock...OES, from the KC recommended health screeing should be HD (maybe elbows) EYES and a condition called PCD (primary cilary dyskinesia )

If you are buying from a breeder who performs all the above you will have a much better chance of owning a healthy dog.

HD can be a combination of inheritance or environment, if you are buying from a breeders who hip scores their dogs and only breeds from good scores you are in with a higher percentage of a having a healthy dog apposed to one who does not hip score.

But you also have to be a responsible owner and feed the correct food and limit exercise of the growing pup, specially a large breed like the OES
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Agree with Jackie. Another thing to watch for is deafness in white headed OES puppies, as these genes are linked. If the puppy you pick is all white headed, do remember to test for deafness. Does the puppy turn when he hears a clap or sqeak sound behind him?