Hi there ! Introductions

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired)' started by serena owens, Aug 29, 2016.

1. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA

Hi there !

Hi dachshund lovers! I am new in this forum. i intend to look for a new breed to replace my previous dog which died 2 weeks ago. Maybe a dachshund is a good breed! Can you help me decide guys! I have friends who also love dachshunds. Hope to meet a lot of friends here!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Serena

Miniature Dachshund are cute [I should know, my pup is half Dachshund although her mom was a very large [and very overweight standard one].

They tend to have health problems, especially spinal ones, so you need to look into the breed and find a good breeder before making any decisions. Check out the details [and some lovely pictures on

http://www.breedia.com/dogs/dachshund-miniature-smooth-haired
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to Breedia Serena, I hope you find a lovely puppy soon.
  5. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA
    oh really! Thanks for the tip! so is it better to have a standard one instead?
  6. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA
    hi! thanks for the warm welcome! yah i am really hopeful to look for a lovely replacement soon. btw can you help me on something! I have this dachshund lover friend who is celebrating her birthday soon. I thought of giving this necklace to her which i googled. Do you think she would like it being a dachshund lover yourself? Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is a very sweet necklace which I am sure your friend will love.

As to whether a standard as against a miniature Doxie would be preferable, you need to check the backgrounds of both the dam and the sire for possible health problems. I would never have chosen a Doxie but I wanted a puppy and tiddler unweaned Tikki wanted me.
  8. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA
  9. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA
    Do dachshunds have a bad temper?
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not that I know of - and if you could see my little monster with the local small children [my neighbour usually has a few of her grandchildren visiting over the weekend] and all they want to do is come and see Tikva. Who will let them pet her, pat her, roll her over so they can tickle her tummy - no, she might be a devil and as stubborn as Hades at times, but a bad temper? No way. And these children are between 2 - 6 years old.

But then she is only a half Dachshund and I do not have any knowledge of pure-bred ones. Have a look at http://www.breedia.com/dogs/d which should give you far more information than I can.

All I know is that if I were to ever get a pure-bred Dachshund I would go for a miniature and not a standard one, although I have recently heard of "tweenies" - which are larger than the minis but smaller than the standards.
  11. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA

Really that's awesome! lol! I can imagine how cute they are by what you're saying. Makes them more interesting in the eyes of real dachshund owners in real time. That is why i opt to join forums rather than just researching online. Thanks Malka!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do not forget that Tikva is a crossbreed Dachshund/Minpin so she has the good and the possible bad from both breeds.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  14. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA
    hi. i have been referred a dashchund. still waiting for the right time. maybe i will get it.
  15. serena owens

serena owens New Member

Name:
    SERENA
    What's a good training schedule for training Dachshund puppies? What things should I teach, and when?
  16. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana

Hi Serena,

First of all let me say how sorry I am that you lost your dog two weeks ago. It's heartbreaking to say goodbye to our old friends.

Reg. Dachshunds

Although I have never owned the breed, I have known several of them over the years (mostly mini's).

They are smart, stubborn, loyal little dogs.
    Most of the ones I have known, had been somewhat difficult to house train.
    They tend to be somewhat yappy, and do bark a lot at anything and everything.
    Some do have health problems, mostly back and weight issues (which very often go hand in hand).

I eould check out Dog Rescues in your area. You might just fall in love with a pup, or even a more mature dog, who desperately needs a loving home.

I would be cautious if you do decide to go with a breeder. Insist on seeing the parents, and work closely with the breeder, discussing things like health issues in their lines, temperament of the parents, diet, and whether she socializes her puppies, etc. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. A good breeder, will be more than happy to answer your questions, and will have some of her own.

Personally, I would never buy a puppy from a Pet Shop.

As to care and training...
    They require the same care and training as any breed of dog.
    Consistancy in training
    Socialization with other dogs, with many people of every size and colour, and exposure to lots of different places, situations and experiences.
    Exercise
    Good diet
    Good health care
    And of course love and lots of patience.

A good puppy class would be recommended and fun for the both of you, to be followed by some obedience classes (unless you are very confident in your training).

Good luck, and please come back to us and let us know what you decide, and if you do get a new pup, we would love to see baby pictures :)

~Elana~