Yet another vax for Tikva General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Yet another vax for Tikva

She had her yearly rabies shot last Wednesday - yes we know it lasts for three years but with so many un-vaccinated and stray dogs, the law is yearly. And now she is due for her three-monthly Parkworm shot. So Ram will come here tomorrow afternoon and Tikva is gonna do "who is that BIG man". She was so used to Michal who had been her primary vet and loved to see her, but she nearly went bonkers when Ram came here three months ago.

Tough. She has to have the three-monthly Parkworm shot so now Michal has gone she will have to get used to Ram.

As if.

When Vadim turned up last week I almost had to sit on her to keep her still, although Vadim is so quick at giving the rabies shot - it was just a matter of keeping her still. So, last week she had her rabies shot.

Yesterday - when I finally got an appointment to see my GP for new 'scrips, the nurse [a new one but seems nice] got me into her room first to take my BP. Sorry, said I, it is very high. And it was but nothing I can do about it. So she then said they had the flu shots in, and I was thinking that is a bit early, but wanna narm? Go stick a needle in it. I still think it is early for the flu shot but 'avva narm an' sticka a needle innit.

And now poor little Tikki has yet another needle gonna be stuck in her for the Parkworm. I asked Ram why she has to have it every three months and he said that now if had come down to this area and most dogs do not have the vaccination, he wants to make sure that Tikki is always covered.

I do not think it is a financial thing for him. Vadim, the Local Authority vet has never charged me for rabies shots, or microchipping, and the call-out charge for Ram to come here is about the same as if I got a taxi to come from town, take us back into town to the surgery, and bring us home.

Ram will give her a check-over, clip her front claws [the back ones are fine as she dances around on her hind legs so often when she is out - but this every three months Parkworm shot is something I had never dreamed of when I adopted Tikva - in fact is had not reached here for a few months later. And now it is a three-monthly shot.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It does sound a very nasty species. I am glad that we don't have it here.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have not even looked up Parkworm and tbh I do not want to know. I know it first appeared in central Israel a few years back - Ramat Gan I think ? but arrived here some time last year. I know that it was after I lost Pereg and before Tikva turned up - and then it was here and she needs a shot every three months. It goes by weight so she has to be weighed before the amount is drawn.

This is gonna be funny as my scales are kept under the vanity unit in my ensuite. Michal always picked up Tikva and weighed them both, then put Tikki down to weigh herself - so got Tikki's weight by taking her weight from the total.

Ahem - which means Ram is going to have to go through the bungalow, through my bedroom into the ensuite, Yes I could get the scales into the kitchen but it will not be easy for me as I am liable to drop them, and they were always put on the same floor tile whenever Michal weighed her.

Not to worry - I have a load of harnesses and collars - and leashes, for Ram, and they are all in a cupboard in my bedroom, so I will chuck the lot on my bed and he can take whatever he can find homes for. Even Pereg's Ezydog harnesses and collars but I will not part with her ComfortFlex Sports harnesses and collars. Maybe one day but not now.

He says that the used ones will be fine for someone, and I have a lot of brand new harnesses that were just no good for Tikki. Especially the mesh ones. Luckily I finally found the most perfect harness - bought another two in different colours [I am not going to argue about $10 for something that fits, is comfortable, and has four-way adjustments] so I cannot see the point in keeping the others.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    The little skinny dog now weight 6 kilos 800 grams - unless Ram was kidding himself as to how much he weighs. But she is as slim as ever and he reckons her weight is all in her muscles as she really is very slim.

As we had to unclip her harness so she could get into the ensuite to be weighed, she shot back into the salon and did a "you can't catch me" going backwards and forwards behind the couch until Ram managed to grab her harness. Gave her the Parkworm shot and let him clip her front claws and then she immediately did "I love you" kissy kissy. To Ram, not to me.

That puppy hates me, I think.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    One of these days I will write English as I mean. The perfect fit and four-way adjustable harnesses I will keep. I am also keeping two K9 type harnesses which are too large even though I bought the smallest size - just in case. Everything else went with Ram, who said he can find worthy homes for even the previously worn harnesses that could do with a slight rinse.

One thing that interested me was that Ram said he could always tell how a dog was when he saw it at home, and not at the surgery. And he thinks that although Tikki can be a little devil with me at times, she is a very happy little girl, but is difficult enough to keep me from taking her for granted.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Is £61.40 too much for a call out, a full check-over, weighed, given Parkworm shot and have her front claws clipped?

This is the sterling equivalent - it was 300 Shekalim and would have cost me probably 150 Shekalim just for a taxi to come and take us there, then collect us to bring us home without the cost of the shot and claw clipping.

I keep seeing things about how much vet costs are, how much vaccinations are, and wonder if I pay too much or am I just bdooly lucky.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I really don't know Malka. The last time I had a vet visit was when we had horses - thirty years ago. (Sigh!).
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know that they do not charge just for seeing a vet [sorry, I forget my English so cannot think of the correct word] - they only charge for any treatment given. So had I taken Tikva there [no way!] it would have cost me just for the Parkworm shot and nail clipping. And her front claws do need regular trimming, which is something I cannot do.

So whatever Ram charged for call out is probably around the same as taxi fares to and from the surgery. And no doubt if I had a car that would also cost me to go to the surgery.

This way it is easy for me, even though Tikki did do a "can't catch me" racing behind the couch.

Both Tikki and I miss Michal but Tikki will have to get used to Ram. This was the only the second time he had been here, for her boosters the the other month and now for the Parkworm shot. The previous time she had seen him was when Michal collected us both, took us to the surgery for Ram to spay her - and then Michal brought her home that afternoon. And I doubt she remembered that.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It's 5 years since I last had a home visit (for my old lad, Sam)

Standard charge was £50 for visiting at home plus any meds prescribed.

I doubt it's risen much (if at all) because our vet is very reasonable with charges
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is so much easier for me if Ram comes here because I honestly could not cope with taking Tikva to the surgery. I used to have to take Pereg for her regular blood tests but I had no choice.

This three-monthly shot against Parkworm was something I had not known about but then it had not come down south to this area until she was a few months old.

Whatever Ram's call out charge - I would have still had to pay for taxis and that would be very difficult for both Tikki and me.

When you love a dog, as I loved my epi Pereg - somehow you found the money for her medication, supplements, and blood tests, You just do. So now Tikki needs three-monthly Parkworm shots she will have them.

Somehow I will find the money to pay for them.