White fur on an Irish Setter Questions

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by MerseDaddy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. MerseDaddy

MerseDaddy New Member

Name:
    Steven

White fur on an Irish Setter

Greetings. I see nobody has posted in here in five years or so, but it was an early hit in Google so I hope someone knowledgeable will see this.

Anyway, my family is purchasing a male Irish Setter from a reputable breeder. We were looking at the largest male. It has a white spot of fur on the chest.

When my wife told people about this, a few said the dog was not purebred because of the white fur. I can't really find a lot about it on the web, just that it is acceptable to have some white fur in a few areas according to the American Kennel Club. My wife's friends are supposedly somewhat knowledgeable about dogs, but I'm not so sure. Most sites just reference the amber, chestnut coat. I also feel like a lot of sites just copy and paste what other sites have to say, making my research very redundant.

So, does anyone know if the white fur means it is not purebred? We have time to change our minds on which puppy we want (there were two litters). The puppies aren't going to any homes until January 17th at the earliest. Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    There is a Red & White Irish Setter perhaps a breeder of either dog or bitch might of cross bred a Irish Red Setter with a Irish Red & White Setter in the pass 6 or more generations ago & the white gene as appeared in the Red Setter your having

toplogo 2013c.jpg Irish Red and White Stacked.jpg
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Tina if you read the Red Setter standard you will see that small amounts of white are allowed.
  6. MerseDaddy

MerseDaddy New Member

Name:
    Steven
    Thank you, everyone!
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Didn't see that bit Vee just saw Irish Red setters & Irish Red & White Setters
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    If my memory serves me well I think I remember talking to a breeder many years ago who was instrumental in reintroducing the red and white setter into England. And she said the Irish (red) and the red and white have common ancestors , can't remember which came first, but my guess is why a bit of white is acceptable
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Quite a few solid coloured breeds forgive a small patch of white hair - especially on the chest. You are going to have this dog for around twelve years, and need to have trust in the breeder as ideally this should be the start of a relationship. If you do, then ignore your friends, if you have doubts, follow your gut instinct and go elsewhere.
    I remember, many years ago, selling a Cavalier puppy to two lovely, elderly brothers who brought an 'expert' friend with them, 'as she knew a lot about dogs, and had visited, (not shown at), Crufts'. She was a nightmare, - but they did buy the puppy and stayed in touch for his lifetime.
  10. MerseDaddy

MerseDaddy New Member

Name:
    Steven
    I am thankful for all of your well though out responses. I was nervous that this was a dead forum. You guys are awesome and I'll be sure to check in from time to time with questions.
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC, Malka and 6JRT's like this.
    I have a black Miniature Schnauzer who comes from a top Hungarian breeder of show dogs. My dog also has one tiny spot of white in the centre of his chest which under the FCI standard for the breed is allowable.