Feeding Diet

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Jura, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Jura

Jura New Member

Name:
    Anne

Feeding

I know this is a bit of a long speil but I have a sixteen week old westie pup - we knew she was the smallest of the litter - but I'm looking for some help regarding her feeding - ,we've been back and forward to the vets 2 lots of antibs and and oral cream to help with her extremely soft bowel movements - vet recommended we change her food she's now been on pedigree vital for past 4 weeks - but if you give her anymore than 3 teaspoons then the diarrhoea starts again - she's also been extremely difficult to house train - not sure if there's a connection between the two? Any help would be appreciated thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Westies are renowned for having skin problems and allergies.

If she were mine, I'd try an elimination diet. I'd change her onto Wafcol Salmon and Potato and only give her that for 3-4 weeks. If the problem cleared, then I'd try introducing things one at a time so that I could rule in/out things that upset her or irritated her skin

Salmon and potato are usually novel proteins to the dog (ie non-meat based and no grains) so food of this variety takes out all the foods that have caused problems before giving a better base to start from.

Remember, if you do this, to make sure that you only use the food as treats and not others containing the things she may be intolerant to
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What food was she on from the breeder, has she had this problem since you bought her, or is it just the new food.

What tests has your vet done on her to eliminate any digestive issues,

Where did you buy her from, and what has the breeder has to say about your issues