Epilepsy Research - Utonagans and NIs Health

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Lucky Star, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Ingtheas likes this.

Epilepsy Research - Utonagans and NIs

I mentioned on the epilepsy thread a few days ago that The Utonagan Association (TUA) have been looking into canine epilepsy research with respect to the Utonagan but I think my post got lost as the thread became so big :lol: so I thought I'd post a separate thread as I feel it will be helpful to owners

TUA have been looking into epilepsy research with the Canine Epilepsy Network (CEN) - I put up their link in the epilepsy thread. I have been in contact with CEN and the good news is that CEN are accepting Utonagans as part of their research.8) They do require a blood sample and TUA are now awaiting their stance on NIs too, given the same original lines and whether they would want them as one whole group or two separate breeds

I think this is a really worthwhile thing to become involved in.:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Excellent news! Lets hope the NI folk join in too, can only be beneficial for ALL the dogs in the long run!
  4. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

That is great news :)
  5. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Brilliant :grin: :grin: :grin:
    Looks like the two pronged attack on the condition can become reality instead of just a hope, keep us posted LS :038:
  6. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    If Inka can help count us in
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Thank you Inkliveeva :041:

Sorry for the delay but I was awaiting a reply from CEN. Brilliant news - I feel as though we have a real break through here. I have today heard back from CEN and they are most definitely happy for Utes and NIs - they can treat as a single breed or "varieties" of a breed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They are experienced in this so this is great news. They are already researching the founder breeds and hope that there might be a common mutation, thus making it easier.

I encourage all Ute owners and NI owners - please do take part in this as it is invaluable in finding a DNA test for epilepsy in this/these breeds. CEN have already been successful in developing other tests.

The Utonagan Association are actively encouraging all its members to become involved in this - and any other Ute/NI owner too. It would be a wonderful thing for everyone to submit a sample/pedigree with a view to getting a test for this condtion for our dogs. This should be of particular interest for those who want to breed.:p Please look at the TUA website for details - it's under 'Latest Health News'. I'm sorry, I can't put a link up because the website contains a forum, although it is member only.

Here is the CEN link again:

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Excellent LS, I really hope they can help find a gene or test, super news!!
  9. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Fantastic news, nice one LS :grin: :grin: :grin:
  10. Tracey381

Tracey381 New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    This is Great News LS,

We are here to help when needed :grin:
  11. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Thanks for the postive posts :grin: .

This really transcends any differences between groups. It is a chance to get a DNA marker test developed for epilepsy in these dogs which, if successful and put into practice by potential breeders, would ensure that no more pups come into this world with this terrible disease. This can only be a GOOD thing, I don't see anything negative in this at all, and I hope that all groups will see that.

The lady I have been in contact with at CEN sounds really positive about the chances of success and is happy to accept samples from any and all Utes and NIs, even if the pedigree is uncertain because they can put pieces together, given enough data.:grin:

Carol from TUA has been in contact with other breed groups today to try to take this forward, but it is open to, and in the interst of, any other owner - whether a member of a group or not. For information, here is TUA statement that has gone out today:

The Utonagan Association have been in discussions with the Canine Epilepsy Network and they have kindly agreed to accept blood samples from both Utonagan and NI dogs for DNA extraction. The aim is to detect the mutated gene which causes epilepsy within our breeds and develop a test for epilepsy so that no more carriers of the disease need be used in breeding.
    CEN are of the opinion that our dogs probably inherited the gene from one of the founder breeds and that the same mutation will be mirrored in our dogs’ DNA. As they already have samples from all of the founder breeds, it seems more likely that they will achieve results quicker than anyone else so we feel this is a major breakthrough and a step nearer to eliminating epilepsy from future generations once the test is developed. CEN have also made discoveries on other inherited diseases whilst researching epilepsy so it may be of benefit in other areas too.
    TUA have contacted all breed clubs for Utonagan and NI to inform them of this news and we hope that everyone will take part in this important research for our dogs. There are special procedures for collection, packaging and posting of samples which are outlined on the CEN website http://www.canine-epilepsy.net
    This opportunity is open to ALL Utonagan and NI owners, regardless of which group they are affiliated with or even if they are not affiliated to any group. TUA are hoping to keep a record of all dogs taking part in this if possible, so could you please let us know the dog’s details if you intend to / or do submit samples ? This will assist in other areas of health research too if we document everything accurately. If anyone would like further information on this please contact TUA and we will be more than happy to assist you. Please see our website under the Latest Health News heading on the front page. Thank you.
    The Utonagan Association Committee.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  12. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I received a copy today from Carol, and we will do all we can to help.
  13. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

That's wonderful news, Laura. :mrgreen:
  14. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I just wanted to bring this back up again, in case anyone missed it before, or isn't aware of it. It would be brilliant to have a DNA marker test for epilepsy in these breeds. :grin:
  15. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    If I can be of any help Linda, count me in :grin:
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Great Corrie! :mrgreen:
  17. Ingtheas

Ingtheas New Member

Name:
    Jaroslav Vagin
    Hello all, i am glad reading your post, its good news for all our community, hope that subject will be resarched as much as its posible!
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You do realise that this is an old thread and that there is no marker or test for canine epilepsy yet. There is no test or check for caninie epilepsy as yet. If there had been makbe my beloved would still be with me.

I do not know about Lucky Star's Loki but I had to have my beloved Pereg euthanised on 1 April 2014 at 1am because of irresistible epilepsy, My Vet came at 1am to put her to gently to sleep.

It is being researched in universities all over the world, but so fce there is no marker and no cure. Just stuff medications down their and pray they do not seize again,

My advise is to contact CEN who will know far more, because for sure nobody here will give you expert information.

Canine Epileptic Network.
  19. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    CaroleC likes this.
    Loki was euthanized shortly after Pereg was. Lived to be 9-10 if recall correctly. This "breed" was plagued with epilepsy. I don't think that even after 20+ years as a "breed" that this "breed" called Utonagan is able to be registered with any legitimate kennel club.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just like the "magic bullet" for cancer, there is no "magic bullet" for epilepsy. Human or canine, And CEN, like universities all over the world, still do not know what or why causes it. They only know that certain breeds of dogs are vulnerable.

And Utonagans are not a breed. They are a cross-cross breed bred to look like wolves,

My beloved Pereg was just a mutt that was unlucky enough to have had the epilepsy gene somewhere in her background.

CEN- Canine Epileptic Network - http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/