Dry nose Questions

Discussion in 'St. Bernard' started by Mini moo, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mini moo

Mini moo New Member

Name:
    Aimee

Dry nose

Hello. I've been dealing with an unknown condition my pup has been having for over a year now. I have tried everything and have found that nothing works. She has had a dry cracked nose that has not healed in over a year. My vet has no idea why this is happening and I've found nothing works to help her. Has anyone had similar issues with their saints?
    image.png
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ouch that looks sore!
    I am not a St. Bernard person, but I am wondering whether your Saint could have ever been in contact with the distemper/hardpad virus. Back in the 1950's when I was a kid, I adopted a rescue collie, (WSD), from a dogs home. I duly took her to the vet to be vaccinated - in those days Epivax was a once in a lifetime vaccination which only covered the killer diseases of distemper and hard pad. The vet refused to vaccinate her, saying that she had already had the disease and would therefore be immune to any further infection. He based this opinion on her cracked flaky nose - there was also some cracking and dryness to the pads on her feet.
    My collie never developed any lameness, and did not have a split septum like your girl, but the flakiness on the nosepad was almost identical to your photo.
  4. Neezul

Neezul New Member

Name:
    Hillary
    I'm so glad I'm not alone! I have also tried everything with no luck at the vet. His looks exactly like this. Following thread!