The Dreaded Shed Grooming

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by AIIan, Mar 20, 2017.

1. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    I wonder if the newfoundland cardie is waterproof?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mish9101

Mish9101 New Member

Name:
    Mish
    Ohhhh dear... I been filling up bags today the dreaded shred is here....

Been covered in hair lol
  4. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    Aye, that was a stupid statement to make...............shed central this week.

but it did get me thinking, Everests fur is about an inch thick at its fullest, and very very thick, but after seeing a cracking rough collie and long haired German Shepherd, i wondered why are they just so cold resistant? it can all be the fur as other dogs have the same or more profuse coats but would not be traditionally regard as being able to sleep out in the antarctic.

Just curious as to the differences.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Good question!
    Maybe dense upstanding coat traps in more body heat - you often see them on film with an iced over topcoat in polar regions. I suspect that the body fat distribution may help too. A fit Collie is quite lean under that hair.
  6. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    Ive been brushing Everest a lot lately for obvious reasons and notice there is a fair layer of dense-ish fat over her entire body, not flabby by any means and she is actually in very very good shape but even over the big muscles of her back legs is this layer of blubber i suppose. must be a cumulative effect of all the cold weather adaptions i suppose.
  7. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Been feeding all my dogs Norwegian Kelp powder in their food, I went from pulling thick tufts of hair at shedding time to a fraction since the kelp. All coats are shiny and silky soft, I no longer get a handful of hair while petting my dogs throughout the year. Of course they do blow their coat but its nothing near what it was like.

Try it and see, you get it on Amazon for $40 for 2lbs bag, I've been using it for 4 months and I haven't used a third of the bag yet, and that's giving it to three dogs at the recommended dose, a little measuring spoon is provided in the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Oc...51083&sr=1-1&keywords=Norwegian Kelp for dogs

Mine will be taking this stuff for life.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am currently trialling a product called, Natural Petcare, Dog Skin, on Merry.
    It is quite an aromatic green pellet, containing a mix of protein and herbs, but she seems to love it, and may actually be losing a little less coat, compared to Ed. I had been sent a voucher for it, and was offered a choice between the 150 and 300 gms size. Naturally, I picked the larger one, and was surprised to find that this size is £35. A very generous gift from PaH!
  9. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    interesting stuff, well worth remembering for next blowing season, just a bit of a fluffy collar to go and we are clear for the next wee while.