Pacemaker Questions

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by bakerstreet, May 10, 2017.

?

Pace maker

1. advice

2. experience

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bakerstreet

bakerstreet New Member

Name:
    Marcia

Pacemaker

I have a 13 yr old American Bulldog and she has been diagnosed with AV Block. Her heart is not beating in sync . With an ultrasound and blood work done through a heart vet, she is not on meds. I am not sure at present if this is working and the suggestion is to have a pacemaker. Two years ago when placed under for a mast cell tumour they nearly lost her so I am uncertain about what I am supposed to do for her welfare.

I would like to hear from any one who has had an older dog and gone through this procedure which is about an hour and half long. Obviously the cost is an issue but besides that I want to know whether that improved the life of the pet.

Thank you
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello Marcia,
    Unfortunately I cannot help you out much as are not really an expert in these areas but please read these links I found on the internet. They might help you out. Don't stress I am sure there will be someone on here with some great advice. Have you talked to the vet about the pros and cons? If not this may be a good idea...
    Link 1: https://www.vetinfo.com/pacemakers-for-dogs.html
    Hope this helps,
    Jane
    x
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    No experience at all to offer.

My questions would be regarding prognosis.

Will the operation cause a substantial risk (bearing in mind what happened the last one)?

What is the likely outcome?

How will the post-operative period affect quality of life?

etc.

Life expectancy of the American Bulldog is 10-15 years and as much as we hate to think of things in monetary terms, is the cost worth the extra time that may or may not be achieved by going ahead, bearing in mind that it is likely to be limited?
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence likes this.
    I agree with @Chris B because if I were in the same position with my dog, I do not think I would put her through such major surgery at that age.

I do hope you get the answers you are looking for to make the correct decision for her and for you.
  6. bakerstreet

bakerstreet New Member

Name:
    Marcia
    Thank you for replying. I read the link info and the cost is actually less - about 2500. The cost is important but I was told although there is a good success rate, there may still be meds afterwards and there can be complications. I am going to adhere to the pill regime to see how that goes for a few days. She is off her food and not my dog as she is supposed to be so at this point will just see how it goes. Not at all looking forwards to any of the choices. Thanks again
  7. bakerstreet

bakerstreet New Member

Name:
    Marcia
    Thanks for replying. I am told that most dogs have an improved life although they are unable to tell me if meds will still have to be used. The cost is 2500 which of course is the use of the credit card. At this time I am going to continue with the meds but at present her quality of life is nowhere near what I would want it to be. I can't even walk her far. I certainly can not just keep her on pills unless I see improvement. I thank you for your input