Hello fello IW owners! General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by K-dawg, Apr 17, 2017.

1. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Askildson likes this.

Hello fello IW owners!

Hi everyone,

To be honest, I'm technically not an owner yet as my pup was only born six days ago so we still have another 9 weeks before we pick her up. I'm looking forward to chatting you all up with questions, concerns, hopes and dreams etc... Although we have owned many dogs over the years, including a great dane, this is our first wolfhound. I have been waiting most of my life to have one in our home so the next several weeks will be excruciating as we wait.

I'll forward a pic soon for you all to see.

Best,

K-dawg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome Kurt. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your puppy. Have you thought of a name yet? You could always feed your IW deficiency by visiting the posts on here by Phil, and the photo's of his lovely young IW, Willow.
  4. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Ha ha! Yes, I do have a name picked already but I'll save it for her coming out party this June.

I am certain we will have many questions for Phil. I've read a few different opinions regarding diet so that'll be a big one.

K
  5. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    This is the best I can do at the moment...one of these little girls is mine.

She has no idea what a great life she has ahead of her in our home.

Attached Files:

6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Only four puppies! I bet they expected more.
    So sweet and content, and Mum probably thinks that four is enough.
    Hope you get your choice.

Your avatar looks familiar - Lucien Freud?
  7. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    There was an issue with the mum as she went into labour and so she had an emergency caesarian. They lost two other pups unfortunately. The "runt" of the litter is the lone male but I'm sure he'll catch up.

Yes, that is L. Freud...one of my favourite painters. I have a good shot of our wire fox that I'll use as an avatar for now but I have to get around to uploading it to the computer. Soon...
  8. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Glad the mother's okay. The pups are beautiful. How many more weeks to go now?
  9. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Hi, yes we're relieved that the pups are all doing well. They were born about three weeks ago so I think mid June is the time frame. We're very excited to say the least.

We will be getting one of these two puppies...not sure which one yet.

18157436_1275298325917363_4569629369821936601_n.jpg 18157496_1275298462584016_7419642500395333053_n.jpg
  10. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hiya,
    From the pictures I want the first one. They are all extremely cute though. I have enough to take care of with Harper at the moment though thank you. I love IW's but they are a bit to big.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jane
    x
  11. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update. We visited our breeder today and chose our puppy. I'm happy to introduce Augie (Augustus) to the forum. It was a difficult choice and they all looked to have a happy disposition but we decided on a male. We still have another month and a bit before pick-up but it was nice to finally meet him.

IMG_2842.JPG
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What a sturdy looking little chap (though not little for long I know!). And very alert. There's a lot of fun ahead!
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Gorgeous chunky fellow!
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome Augie. We will love watching you grow, - and grow.
  15. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Aww!
    What a handsome little fellow he is. Your so cute Augie. Take lots of pictures of him as you will wake up the next morning and he will have already grown lol.;) Which one was he in the other pictures 1st or 2nd?
    Jane
    x
  16. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Hi, thanks for the comments. The previous photos are of two females we were contemplating. We were second in line for a male however the person ahead of us declined him because they were specifically after a black male and Augie will be on the lighter side, probably a Wheaton. Worked out well for us.

Growth is definitely something we are researching in terms of diet. It seems every breeder and IW expert has their own opinion on the subject. We will work towards formulating a good dietary plan for him to manage his growth with long term health in mind.

More pics to come!
  17. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Augie @ 12lbs...6 weeks young.

Three more weeks till pick up!

augie 12lbs.jpg
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Eeek - I want to reach into the monitor and grab him! 12lb at just six weeks - Augie you are absolutely scrumptious! :007: Whatever he is being fed on he is certainly doing well on it. I am a raw feeder [with a shrimp who must have empty legs] and have no idea what a large breed dog should be fed.

Those three weeks until you pick him up are going to seem like an eternity, and then it will be just one more sleep until he is home and that eternity will have gone in a blink.

Thank you for the updated photograph - it will be so lovely to watch him growing up. :D
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    He has a look of mischief about him now. He's a very handsome boy, look forward to seeing him grow.
  20. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Well, he finally arrived home yesterday. Augie is a healthy and solid 20 lbs at 8 weeks.
    The adventure begins. IMG_1814.JPG
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bless him. Wishing you both a long and happy life together.