Shar Pei tail taking fur off her back Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Giocchina, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Giocchina

Giocchina New Member

Name:
    Giocchina
    CaroleC likes this.

Shar Pei tail taking fur off her back

I have a 2yr old female Shar Pei. Recently her wagging tail has taken the fur off her hind quarter. Vet has told me there is nothing I can do as her fur is coarse and the curling rubs her back. Has anyone experienced this and how they have stopped the bald patch or worse breaking the skin?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ah bless her! Just because she is too happy, she sounds delightful. I'm afraid I can't think of a remedy, but there are a few Shar Pei owners on here, maybe someone has a suggestion.
    <-- My Beagle girl has a little bulge of muscle each side of the root of her tail, also built up by constant wagging. Precious.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Georgina's tail sticks straight up in the the air like a flagpole and my previous Pei's tail lay flat across her back, I find Pei fur rubs off very easily and I have to be careful when buying collars for Georgina to make sure they don't leave a bald patch under her chin.

I'm not sure what you can do about it apart from giving her supplements to improve the health and condition of her coat. SF-50 is a multi vitamin/multi mineral supplement which I given my both my dogs for years. Although I've never tried it I've read that massaging virgin coconut oil into the fur helps to improve the skin and coat.

Another idea .. as you say this has only happened recently is she moulting by any chance? Georgina's been shedding heavily for the past 3 weeks (you should see my carpets) and is looking quite moth eaten. Just a thought!
  5. Giocchina

Giocchina New Member

Name:
    Giocchina
    She is moulting but nothing out of the norm. I will try the vitamins and some clothing until it heals... joys of children