Pomeranian puppy eating feces :( Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Danielkh, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Danielkh

Danielkh New Member

Name:
    Daniel

Pomeranian puppy eating feces :(

Hi.

I own a Pomeranian puppy, cream white and I love him to bits.

However, he has always had this habit of eating his own feces when I don't watch.
    I take him for walks 3 times a day, but it is like he doesn't want to poop outside. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

I understand that when dogs resort to eating their own feces it is due to low vitamins in the food they get or that they aren't getting what they are supposed to get.

The problem is that I have taken him to the vet 5 times due to this problem already, and I have tried out different vitamin supplements to avoid the eating of feces, but to no luck. He continues to do this when I'm not watching, or in the middle of the night.

I am starting to become desperate as I've been to the vet so many times and it never resolves the problem.

I used to have a Yorkshire a couple of years ago with my ex-girlfriend. We had that dog since she was a puppy and I trained that dog well. I am still using the same techniques as I have done before, but it seems like it's not helping with the poop eating. It's right down disgusting and he's so adorable that it's super disturbing when I catch him.

If he doesn't poop outside, he will poop in an area that I thought him to do. Problem is that he will then grab the poop and go back to his bed when I am not watching. I've tried out over 8 different food brands, but it just doesn't help.

He stopped doing it for approximately 2 months, and I am still giving him the same food as I gave him back then.

I am thinking that maybe feeding him boneless chicken will help, but I do not want to overfeed him or feed him to much as I am trying to control his pooping.

Would perhaps feeding him strictly chicken help? I mean, I'm desperate to understand why it happens as I've given up all hope on taking him back to the vet, since it never resolves itself, and it's basically lost money on appointments and supplements that don't resolve the issue.

He is 6 pounds, 5 months old and very active. He never barks at people and follows me wherever I go. His health is in good condition, he get's to play a lot, and there's no problems - Except for the poop eating.

Do you know or have experience with these type of issues, and could you please share with me on how to put an end to the issue?

Please help me!

Sincerely,

Desperate Pom owner.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Danielkh and GsdSlave like this.
    This is a really common problem in my breed.
    I think that dietary deficiency has very little to do with it. In rare cases there can be an enzyme deficiency, causing a dog to feel the need to recycle what he is able to produce, but this has other symptoms, usually leading to the condition being picked up by a vet.
    In my opinion, the major cause is the availability of poop as a snack or play item while the puppies are still in the nest. These are usually reared in a kennel situation, where the poop is not removed regularly enough. These puppies arrive in their new homes with the habit firmly established, and it can a difficult one to break.
    I have had the best results by going back to initial house-training days, and ALWAYS supervising what dogs with this habit pass - whatever the weather, or what you are watching on the TV. When they pass a poop, I act as if they had won first prize at a Champ. Show. I tell them that they are a Really Gooood Dog!, and reward with a happy dance, and a really tasty treat. Remove the poop immediately. Do not let them have a chance to fail.
    My girl was aged six years when she came two years ago. She is an ex kennel dog, and arrived with a confirmed poop eating habit when in the yard. She has now learned to leave her offering, - even if I may have missed seeing her do it, - as it is the evidence which is going to earn her a treat. It looks as if I am going to be giving prizes for poo-poos for the rest of her life, but it is the lesser evil. Give it a try. Good luck.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The best thing to do is go out with him if you have to’ keep him on lead till he goes, Pick poo up as soon as it happens and teach the leave it command
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Danielkh likes this.
    Pereg used to stand behind little Lexi waiting to catch it warm. After I lost Lexi she would wait until her own was rock solid dry from the sun and then have a good scrunch. She stopped it for a while until I changed her onto raw feeding and my Vet reckoned she just liked re-cycling the food she had so enjoyed eating and not to worry about it.

Tikki Tikva does have a habit of sometimes wandering about with a bit of dry poo in her mouth but she does not eat it or bring it in the house.