The skinny one has finally gained weight! General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

The skinny one has finally gained weight!

Ram came round to give Tikva her three-monthly Parkworm shot, for which she has to be weighed, and she is now all of 6.5kg! She also had her six-monthly Drontal Plus, and we are trying her on Bravecto for fleas and ticks instead of monthly Frontline Plus.

But I messed up with dates so he will be back again in August for her yearly booster, then again at the end of September for the Parkworm shot and another Bravecto. Plus, of course, Vadim will be due for her rabies shot after the booster. What annoys me is that all these things are only necessary because of the loose and stray dogs who have never even had puppy shots or been treated for internal and external parasites.

And I forgot to ask him about Piriton in case she has another allergic reaction to something, but he was in a rush as he had left the surgery while there were no patients waiting so had to get back pdq as only the nurse was there when he came here.

He was delighted with Tikki, who adores him and rushed out to greet him when she saw his car and then did twirlies for him once he came in, and very pleased with her weight gain as she really had been too skinny. She is still nice and slim and looks just right now. :023:

Oh, and even though he was in a rush I still got my hugs when he arrived and before he left! :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet and CaroleC like this.
    Look how fat I am now!

[​IMG]
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Having measured her chest and waist [her harness has not had to be loosened] I think her weight gain is mainly in her muscles and bones as her legs and skull are a lot more solid. Fair enough not all her ribs or spine now show clearly but that seems to be just a thin covering and they are easily felt.

I have been watching her while she is outside and she has not changed shape but she is definitely a nice sturdy girl who has just grown out of the puppy stage and is now a proper dog!

I am watching her diet and weight though as to have gained so much in three months is more than I would have expected, and with her background of breeds who tend to gain weight and end up obese [like her Doxie dam] I do not want her to get fat.

So I am giving her the same amount of bone for her breakfast but just cutting her evening wet meal by a fraction. She does not nag for more and for the last couple of mornings she is not waking early needing a p&p. Yesterday I actually woke her at 8.30am as it was very late for her - this morning she stirred herself at 8am. Far better than eeping for me to let her out at the crack of dawn!

I think I am doing the right thing... any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When I cut her evening wet meal by a fraction, I just changed to using a slightly smaller bowl so to her it looked the same, and I have not cut it down since then. It was only by about by about a tablespoonful and seems to suit her much better. Now, instead of going out for a p&p after that meal, then zonking on the couch before I tell her to go out for a final pee and then crate and bed, she plays outside until bedtime - is happy to go to bed a bit later, and is sleeping until 8 - 8.30am each morning.

I know Ram wanted her to gain ~½ kilo but then he still has no idea about raw feeding and that raw fed dogs are usually slim, and I did not want her to keep on gaining weight. For me. 6 kilos would be a good weight to keep Tikva at, and I am much happier with her evening activities and then sleeping in late. It seems to suit us both far better.

Having managed to pick her up I have just checked her weight and she is 6.3kg - a slight loss of 200g since I altered her diet and a much more lively little dog in the evenings. She does not go out much during the day due to the unbearable heat, and she will still not go out for walks which clipped onto The Silver Monster. She just likes her yards and taking her up on my lap is no exercise for her, unlike the rushing around in the yards.

But she is happy - very happy - and a healthy little girl, so what more could I want? And what more can I do, if anything, to help her?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence and CaroleC like this.
    Still working. I have not weighed Tikva and nor have I cut her evening meal down. But she was rushing around last evening like the little looney that she is, came in an asked to go to bed quite late and did not murmur or move until nearly 9am even though I had been up hours earlier.

I really must be doing something right.

Maybe I will try to weigh her later when I can pick her up.
  7. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Malka likes this.
    Hello Juli,
    Bet she's the jewel of your eye.
    Jane
    xx
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence likes this.
    Jane - I loved Lexi. She was actually too good to be true. Pereg was the love of my life, epi or not and believe me she was not easy to look after, but oh did I love her and it broke my heart when I had to give her peace. But she needed it.

Tikva? My little monster?

Nah - well yes - of course I love her, little booger that she is.