I just needed a break Discussions

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

I just needed a break

I had an accident outside on Monday [my chair caught on something and tipped me out] and even though my private emergency doctor did eventually turn up, very late, all he said was hospital now. But I had nobody to look after Tikva so thought I would wait and call the Pension yesterday to please take her for just a couple of days to at least let me rest. They always collected Pereg for just a few hours day care although originally it was for a couple of days kennelling , so I had to ask them. I have known them for years - always took Pereg there to buy stuff for her - took Baby Ziva when she came to buy a crate and a bed - and of course they have known Tikva since I first took her.

They are maybe just a few kilometres away on the next Moshav and kept saying they were on the way. But they did not come even though I telephoned more than once.

Tikki sleeps in her crate at night but not during the day and I had to rest - apart from anything else I had banged my head on the concrete outside, so she had to come on the bed with me, and she thinks the bed is to jump, leap, eat my ears, lick my hair, thump me all over, although she did eventually cuddle up for a sleep.

But it made me think. I have made arrangements in my Will for the Pension to take Tikva if I predecease her so what is that worth now? They had agreed to this but did not come yesterday even though I had gotten everything ready for her - food, toys, one of her cuddle beds, and she knew something was wrong.

What do I do now? Luckily she agreed to go to bed in her crate much earlier than usual bedtime so I did manage to get some sleep, and she is being far too good this morning even though she is normally a little booga first thing and I had put everything away last evening when I realised nobody was coming.

OK. My fault. I should never have gotten another puppy but there are lots of people older than I who have dogs, even disabled people like me. And I love my little Tikki but the thought of what will happen to her when I die is worrying me so much.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Anyone can have an accident whatever their age. It could have been the child who dropped an icecream wrapper at the top of the stone stairs who fell down. Or the woman in charge of the House who did not replace the broken light bulb. Does that make them unfit to ever have the pleasure of the company of a dog? Apart from Baby Ziva who was only with me for just 11 days, I looked after my Lexi until she just died in her sleep, cuddled up to me. She was not very old, she was not young either. She just died because it was her time.

And nobody can say I did not do my best for my beloved Pereg. Four years of uncontrollable epilepsy so I gave her peace, peace she was desperate for. You all know how I much I loved her and how well I looked after her.

Tikki? If I had not fetched her home, bottle fed her day and night, when it was "take her now" with the unspoken "or else"? She is a happy, albeit sometimes a little devil, healthy little two-year-old. What happened to her litter mates? Probably the same as Baby Ziva. When they got too much to cope with, thrown into the nearest agricultural field. Because that is what is done here to unwanted puppies.

Please, nobody tell me I was wrong to bring her home. Please do not blame me for the accident that landed me in a chair. Please do not blame me for the accident I had on Monday.

And please never blame me for giving Tikva life.

I just needed a couple of days break so I could get some sleep. And I did not even get one day. I just do not know what to do now.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Just a thought, Malka, but how far away did that lovely lady vet move to? I know she offered to take Tikki for you if ever you needed her. I wondered if Ram could give you a contact number to at least ask her if she would be willing
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh Malka, I am so sorry to hear about your accident, and it is disappointing that the pension has let you down so badly. A very good suggestion from Chris, I think Ram is likely to be your best contact for this problem.
    I hope you are feeling better soon.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I did ask Ram but he would not give me her number. Said it was not - oh, I cannot think of the word. In any case she is a vegan and Tikki is raw fed so that could have been a bit dodgy. I have since spoken to the Pension again and there seems to have been a misunderstanding. Or something. Tikva was not going to be put in one of their [only 12] kennels as they are re-building. She would have been kept in their huge store, able to wander about, go out and come in as she is used to when I have taken her, and would have slept at night either with Eviyatar or his brother Ben - she knows them both.

A bit late now but they have called to apologise and say it was a mix-up and after Sunday they will have her with pleasure. For maybe a few hours, maybe a day, maybe a bit longer. I hope I will feel better by then but so far we, Tikki and I, are coping B"H even though tbh I really do not feel well.

I was not wrong to have brought her home when I did. I did not expect, or want, a 3 week-old unweaned puppy - they had said I would have to wait another two weeks when I first saw her and even at 5 weeks old she would have been too young. But Chris - that unspoken take her now "or else" - what was I supposed to do?

She has done brilliantly - happy, healthy, raw fed once bottle fed and weaned, and she is alive and she is healthy and she is happy. And I know she loves me as much as I love her. What with her littermates? What happened to Baby Ziva? Thrown in the middle of a field? Because that is what happens here because people do not bother spaying or neutering. New puppies? Oh how cute. Until those puppies start messing everywhere and nobody wants them. Which is why I agreed to have her spayed before her first season. Both Lexi and Pereg were spayed 3 months after their first one.

I like to think that I am a responsible dog owner and to the best of my knowledge I am and have always been.

Tikki is fine. She has been unbelievably good so far today - I just have to look at her and she smiles at me. But even though the door is open she will not go out by herself unless I go with her and tell her to make peepee. Which she does then comes back in. But it is unbelievably hot so maybe she does not want to be out. I have all the a/c on in every room so she probably wants to stay in. And after yesterday I do not think she wants to leave me.

Chris I love my bubba and I know she loves me, and I know I can look after her. I was just so ill because of the fall that I was frightened I could not cope. I am still very wobby although of course I am always in my chair, but I must, must, must, look after my little Tikki and I will. I promise you that.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    May I just say one thing please? Most of you all know me from Dogsey and you know my name. I have never pretended to be anything/anyone who I am.

I will not mention any names. I am me. Malka on here but my name is Juli, and I live in Israel.

And I love my little Tikva just as I loved Lexi, Pereg, Baby Ziva - and the wonderful Griffons I used to breed many years ago.

My dogs are and always have been loved as much as I loved my children - I still love them even if I do not know where they are. My children, and grandchildren I mean.

I know that Tikki will be the last wubble who will ever share my life, but she is my bubbie and I will do anything and everything for her.
  8. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Dear Juli,

I have read every single on this thread and believe me it touched my heart. Tikva loves you and would hate you to be sad or hurt. You can tell that by the way she obviously makes you smile every day. You are soul mates and I don' think anyone in the right mind would do anything to blame you for rescuing her when she was in the depths of despair.

I must say if I lived in Israel I would offer to take your little Tikva myself when you pass on. Please don't feel worried about what may happen. What will happen is you will spend the rest of your days feeling worried instead of enjoying yourself. Life is a big climb and I can see the many hurdles you have overcome already. We just have to learn to enjoy the ride.

Like in my signature quote I will repeat that we all have a purpose in life. One of those purposes for you was to rescue little Tikva and give her the life she deserves. You have made an impact on the world by doing that one gesture that made a difference.

I know you are an amazing person. Just believe that and enjoy yourself.

Kind Regards,
    Jane
    xx
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I was not a byb - I was a registered KC breeder with my own Affix and in those days well checked by the KC. Still my Affix as it was for life, not yearly. I had maximum two litters a year from three girls. Not all at once of course. They only had two litters each and that was all. And Griffons usually only have two puppies although one did something stupid and had five. Oh boy, was that work. But they were perfect and KC registered.

My girls had their own night house, attached to my house - brick built and insulated - oh and of course windows. But were in my house all day.

As and when my girls were due to whelp they slept in my living room next to my couch where I slept until they went into labour and until I knew the puppies were OK. And in those days you could not sell a puppy until it had had all its shots - was three in those days, and the puppies had to stay in the house until then. So that was 13 weeks minimum. Of course my other girls, and I only had four, one who was retired, one who never came into season and I eventually convinced Mother to take her and they loved each other, and my two who had had their maximum of only two litters, were in the house all day. Or out in my secure 6' yard.

I had to hand-rear two puppies as their mommas could not cope so I knew what I had to do with Tikva.

Tikki at the moment will not leave me. She will only go out for a pee if I take her. Just got to say come out make a peepee and she will, but she is a strange little girl who will not come out for walks if I am on my mobility scooter. She has never wanted to leave my front yard. But that is Tikva - and if she is happy on a 12m tether, why should I argue with her? Even if I forget to clip her tether on she will not go runrun.

I even said to her this afternoon that I needed a sleep, unclipped her tether and she was on the bed before me. And cuddled up for a wonderful sleep.

I am glad the Pension could/would not take her yesterday because I need her as much as she needs me.

But I am so worried who will take her. And I was not wrong to take her at such a young age. I had no choice but I gave her life and gave her love and she has more than given that love back to me.

I know some people said I deliberately took her too young. I did not. I saved her life. I did not want her so young. And for as long as I am able to live, Tikva will have everything she needs. My bubba is far from spoiled but she knows what love is. And she knows how much I love her.

Just as I loved Lexi, Pereg, Baby Ziva, and now Tikki Tikva.

No. I was not wrong to bring her home when I did. Where else would she have been had I not?

Oh my Tikki Tikva - I love her so much which is why I do not know what to do.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    She came to bed with me earlier and just cuddled up. I love her so much.