seperation anxiety Discussions

Discussion in 'Scottish Terrier' started by ChinChin, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ChinChin

ChinChin New Member

Name:
    ChinChin

seperation anxiety

New member here.This is my second post in two days.Advice sought.I have three dogs.Japanese Chin, and two Scotties.My problem lies with my youngest Scottie, he's seven years old.Moved house eighteen months ago, probably not relevant but might be.In the last two or three months whenever I leave him he's sick in his bed.I have never had this problem with him before. I thought at first he was being sick because of the food I was giving him, so changed that.He was then on antibiotics for an abcess ,thought it could be that. I have put it down to Separation Anxiety.Why ?I have no idea, he's not alone ,as I say I have three dogs.Getting a bit worried now .Any advice?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    First of all welcome to Breedia, I am sure you will make some friends here. Secondly, sorry to here about Scottie. :( Have you consulted you vet again after the antibiotics didn't solve the problem? Look at having your Scottie's blood tested and x-rayed to eliminate any medical problems. (It's very important that you do this.) Going down the anxiety route, nausea isn't a terribly common symptom of separation anxiety, but if you've ever been worried sick you know how your dog feels.
    Is he showing any visible signs of stress before you leave to go out?
    Is it just him or are any other of the dogs affected?
    Maybe its worth setting up a hidden camera to check on the activity that goes on whilst you are away from the house. I think it probably is anxiety but as I am not a vet I am in no position to advice you. Please answer my questions so we can work together to try and solve this.
    Jane
    xx
  4. ChinChin

ChinChin New Member

Name:
    ChinChin
  5. ChinChin

ChinChin New Member

Name:
    ChinChin
    Thank you.The antibiotics did actually work, he had an abcess on his gum which has now gone.He's back to normal ,eating properly again.He's quite a nervy little dog and will cry if I go upstairs.None of my other dogs show any sign of stress and as I say this being sick when I leave him has only started in the last couple of months.If any other member of the family is in the house when I go out he's fine.He has been back to the Vet and there is no medical reason for this reaction.He does get anxious when he knows I am getting ready to go out .I have started giving him a word which he associates with being calm although this is a work in progress.I have no idea why this panic has started ,my other Scottie is twelve years old very calm.The little Chin a gentle little cutie.
  6. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hello again,
    I am sorry I didn't process the bit about him having an abscess on his gum.(stupid me :rolleyes:) If you say he's been fully checked out by a vet it probably is separation anxiety. Its good your working on a word that means calm for use when he seems stressed. Say the word before you leave so he knows its OK, don't make a big fuss of him though because he may think you are rewarding his behavior.
    Try not to cuddle him because this will send out the message you are worried too. Its like a dog that is scared of fireworks hiding under the table on bonfire night. You join your pet under the table to try and comfort it. The dog thinks woah this must be really scary if your here too! :eek: You get me?
    Keep up the good work and let me know how your getting on will do some more research on anxiety whilst waiting on your reply,
    Jane
    xx
  7. ChinChin

ChinChin New Member

Name:
    ChinChin
    Thanks for your help.