Hello fello IW owners! General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by K-dawg, Apr 17, 2017.

1. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Welcome Jessie, Harry is certainly a handsome fella. I hope with some care and attention his coat will come back in in short order.

Here is a pic of Augie at 11.5 weeks. At the vet for his booster shots last weeks he weighed in at 33 lbs. You can see by this picture that dogs, as well as humans do not enjoy being photographed while eating...
    I just finished this little graffiti inspired dining table for him and this was his first time trying it out. I can see already that I will have to replace those legs with a longer set tomorrow!

IMG_1848.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Augie just gets more adorable with each picture you post of him. Thank you for keeping us up to date with how he is growing.

As for his dining table - I think the legs will have to be replaced quite a few times by the time he is fully grown!
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    How quick they grow, love his dining table.
    I adapted a stool for drinking bowl.
  5. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Enjoying some time on the lake. Unfortunately he won't fit on our boat for much longer...he seems to love the water though which is nice. AugieBoat.jpg
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ah bless, he's gorgeous!
  7. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    Hi everyone, Augie is doing well and continues to grow. I will take some outdoor photos the next time we're at the dog walking park. Augie turned five months yesterday.

We went by our vet today to use his scale and the little guy is now a healthy 72 lbs and approx 27" at the withers.

more soon... IMG_1909.JPG
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    They grow like weeds.
  9. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    They are so young yet so big are the Irish Wolfhounds. I saw an adult one at the dog park the other day it ran up to Harper nearly bowled her over. :D you could hear it galloping towards her before you could see it! There such social breeds and they forget their size sometimes. :p
    Jane
    Xx
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence likes this.
  11. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Must be great living the charmed life of a wolfhound.

He's all legs,ears and tail at the moment.

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I can remember asking Phil if he thought Willow would ever grow into her tail!
  13. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
  14. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Hi all,

I'm getting frustrated trying to clip Augie's nails. He's not protesting too badly but enough to make the job difficult so when he's not "on board", I take him to my vet. Today was that day so I weighed him and he's now 82 lbs and his height at the shoulder is about 29". I think he's pretty well "average" in terms of the growth chart, maybe even a bit below. Regardless, he's eating well and is a happy fella.

Couple of pics from a few minutes ago.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Augie is such a handsome pup although he looks so grown up now - I wonder how big he will be when he is fully grown. He is just gorgeous!

As for clipping nails, that is something I leave up to my wonderful vet. Pereg had to have three-monthly check-ups and three or six-monthly blood tests so hers were always checked and clipped if necessary during visits to the surgery. My vet comes here now for Tikva's three-monthly Parkworm shot so he checks and clips her nails then, although her back ones are fine as she tends to prance around on her hind legs when she is outside so she can see over the top of my steep yard! She is due for her next one next week so Ram will check her nails then.

I cannot do it as she is a little wriggler and I cannot hold her.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I 'tip' my dog's nails at an angle with a Resco guillotine clipper. I do this quite frequently - often weekly. I find this is stressless, as my dogs accept it as a normal part of their grooming routine. Eddie will also let me Dremel his, but Merry will not allow the buzzing thing to touch her.
    Kikkopup has a very good YouTube video about maintaining nails by this method. Black nails can be a nightmare though, whatever method you use.
  17. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    It is definitely a tricky job. I've been clipping my other three dogs nail for years with no issue. We start young and then they become used to the routine over time. The problem with Augie is his size so I can only attempt it if I have a helper to distract him with a treat. His legs are long and he swings his paws at you like wrecking balls. You have to not only watch to not cut the quick but also watch for a right cross!!
  18. K-dawg

K-dawg New Member

Name:
    Kurt
    GsdSlave, Malka and Janet like this.
    augie2.jpg augie1.jpg augie6months.jpg Hello all,

Augie continues to grow and engage in various forms of mischief. Recently he made a friend with another IW in our area. "Beans" is a beautiful 11 month old female brindle...wonderful gate when she trots along.

We attended the vet for a nail clipping yesterday and Augie is now 6.5 months and tipping the scales at 95 lbs. He is 31" at the withers now which is right where he should be on the growth charts.

The other fella in the photo is Cudi, our 6 year old wire fox.