Puppy color General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Trishiau, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish

Puppy color

We are trying to pick out our puppy (getting pressure from breeder because the others are pressuring him) even though we had first deposit and were told we'd get first pick. They aren't even 2 weeks old.

Can anyone tell from experience what colors these will turn out to be? There our top 4 choices.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Chris B, CaroleC and Malka like this.
    Personally I think two weeks is much too young to consider picking a puppy, at that age all they do is eat and sleep, its not only about colour’ (unless one wants to show) but what puppy’s personalities and dispositions is best suited for you.

5/6 weeks is best time, ask the breeder lots of questions and spend time just sitting on the floor and getting to know the pups, that way you can see how the puppies react to you, are they happy to be handled, or do they freak and shy away and you might have a better idea of colour too, though that does change as they get older but the breeder should be able to advise as she will know the lines.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    I would wait till at least 6 weeks to pick your pup that's when the personalities start to show. The breeder should have more experience on the colour defining. Also you shouldn't be pressurised into picking...
    Jane
    xx
  5. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Innocence likes this.
    Hi Trish

Perhaps you could speak to the breeder and suggest they tell potential owners that at 6 weeks you having the pick of the litter will be choosing and after that the other puppies will be up for viewing. Can't harm to talk to them.

What breed are the puppies?
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I wouldn't pick at 2 weeks. The breeder is the one in control of that situation. They should have made it clear that the pups will be chosen later, rather than let people pressure them. It looks like the pups will be fawn or black.
  7. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    They are Belgian Malinois
  8. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    We ended up waiting until 4 weeks; we also wanted to choose but were surprised by being asked that soon. He posts videos each week and week and a half with pictures each week so we were able to see his personality from week to week. We think we picked good. He's very handsome! And seems pretty independent. When playing with their child, he wasn't nipping at all! But was the leader of the pack trying to get him ;)

Attached Files:

• Halo.jpg
      Halo.jpg
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Trishiau likes this.
    Cute puppy
  10. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    :007: AAAAWWWWWW,
    Very nice puppy. Decided on any names yet for your boy? I'm glad you waited a bit there extremely tiny at 2 week and only really eat, sleep and pee pee. :015:
    Jane
    xx
  11. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Thank you :) He just keeps getting better looking, and we still like his personality :mrgreen: His name will be Halo
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet and CaroleC like this.
    He is certainly a handsome and sturdy-looking pup - you must be counting the weeks - and then it will be counting the sleeps...

..and when he is home and you put up a photograph of him we can say "Hello Halo"! :D
  13. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Here he is. Counting the sleeps is definitely happening! Thinking he had so many siblings he doesn't really like to be alone or sleep alone so much. We do have another dog though, but she doesn't care for his hyperness much. Hoping they both adjust stat.

Attached Files:

14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Is that the same puppy? Only the picture you posted in your message #7 was a black puppy and the one now is not black.
  15. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Malka likes this.
    It's probably the same puppy. The puppy in post #7 isn't black, but has black mask and some on the tail and ears. Will probably get even lighter with more age.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you for the explanation - I am not that clever as to colours but that is definitely one extremely gorgeous pup!
  17. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    No problem. Some stay fairly dark, though the fawn hairs will be more apparent. Typically they get lighter with age, but the black mask stays though how deep it is could lessen. Just the same the black on dogs ears and tails will reduce with age, but will retain some and be darker than the rest of the body.

I find the loss of black true in breeds/dogs with different genes from one another. In Pit Bulls at times there is incomplete dominant between fawn and tan point gene so you get a dark over lay of black hairs, but a puppy who had a lot will be reduced as they age and could look surprisely different. Some keep a lot of it though. Sorry to ramble, I find the different coat color and genetics interesting.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My only real experience with true colours was with my Griffons. I bred reds - red to red, and although sometimes rough red/rough red would throw a smooth [and the alternative], they were red. On the very rare occasion a blondie appeared they were sold registered as not to be bred from or shown.

Pereg, who was a mutt of no known origin, definitely changed colour as she got older, being mostly black and ending up black and tan, but more tan than black.

If you look at my avatar ...
    [​IMG]
    and then this...
    [​IMG]
    [she was the one on the right]

would you think they were the same dogs?
  19. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Malka and CaroleC like this.

Yep! The photo in post #12 has some filters because it was so dark :) Here are some unfiltered; he's still pretty dark but has lightened up some. He should be a sable (darker than a fawn, more mahogany probably) when he's all done and grown, which is what we wanted. His dad is a sable and is gorgeous.

Attached Files:

20. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Wow! What a difference!
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Trishiau likes this.
    Your pup is definitely gorgeous, and what a lovely colour. Such an inquisitive face as well - wondering what the world has in store for him!