Over friendly Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Crackalingacrunch, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Crackalingacrunch

Crackalingacrunch New Member

Name:
    Jane

Over friendly

Hi

We are a 3 dog family - 1x 13 year old Lab, 1 x 3 year old JTR and 1x 13 month old JRT. The youngster has been introduced to other dogs and humans outside his litter and birth home since 8 weeks - Puppy parties through the Vets, daily walks with and amongst lots of other dogs both on and off lead and regular visits to my parents who have 5 labs of varying ages..

Until he was about 7 months old we seemed to be doing OK, he would come back to the whistle, but he was very bad for being over the top with other dogs, especially around their mouths. However, from about seven months, it has been increasingly difficult to get him to come away from other dogs - we have had him run and run (after a couple of owners who were the other side of the field just refused to stop, even on hearing us calling and whistling him) to the point where he will go well out of sight.

When other dogs aren't around he will stop to check where we are and come back til we catch up, and responds to both name call and whistle. If another dog is in sight (no matter how far way) he's off. He's never aggressive but is really, really OTT in how happy he is wanting to play. He also fails to recognise when dogs warn him off - his tail doesn't stop wagging. When he is on the lead and sees another dog, he squeals and whines like a pig and struggles to get off the lead to them.

Has anyone had any similar experience and how did you deal with this please? It is a shame as all he wants to do is play, but he's becoming the scourge of the locality!!

Oh, he was neutered a couple of weeks ago.

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome and thank you in advance!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    We have a 9 month old Akita, he doesn’t get let off the lead for different reasons to you. I would love him to strole about off the lead, but, sadly he can’t. We just have to manage him
    Maybe it’s something you have to accept and work with him on the lead, for now anyway. He is still young
    We found after castration he calmed down after a couple of months and is easier to walk and be around
    Keep us posted and let us see a photo of this chap
  4. Crackalingacrunch

Name:
    Jane

Thanks for the reply. I suspect you may be right, and JRT's can be pig headed with running off etc anyway. I think we may try with a higher pitch/ silent whistle and see if that can break into his focus, but unless anyone on here has had a similar experience and any guidance, suspect it will be limited off lead for a while. Of course that doesn't address the over excitement on the lead when he sees another dog and all the hullabaloo. Once the dog has gone, he'sOK again and isn't a puller. Sort of hoping it may be a phase.

Pic wise, was hoping to find one with the 3 of them, but seem to have every combination but. The 3 year old on the top and the gremlin on the bottom.

16831214_1546533745376001_7948760035333616621_n.jpg
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Puppies are often quick to learn, but do tend to get casual in their responses when they reach the teenager phase. I would work on your youngster's recall by putting him on a long line, (around 10 metres), in an open area, and using a pocketful of small but really tasty treats. Throw a treat away from you, and as soon as he picks it up, call him back in a jolly tone, using his name and your usual command word, Come, Here or whatever. Give him a happy Yes! for an immediate response, and reward him again as soon as he reaches you. Repeat ad infinitum, but do stop before he starts to become bored. You need to remain the focus of his attention.
    The next phase would be to Google Freedom Fields, and enter your postcode. You will find that this brings up your nearest securely fenced exercise fields which can be hired quite reasonably for blocks of, (usually), half an hour or an hour. This will allow you try out your games in safety off lead, maybe interspaced with periods of tuggy or chasing a ball.
    The problem with meeting other dogs can also be dealt with by focus obedience, using the Watch Me command. Start to train Watch Me when there are no distractions around, and, starting with a brief look, reward, (Yes! and treat), for an increasing length of eye contact. Do not let your junior meet other dogs head on. Take him to one side while the other dog passes, and ask him to Watch Me for a reward. Teaching a Sit Wait can also help here, as it gives the dog something else to think about.
    Both of these exercises can be summed up as methods of diverting the dog's attention from the stimulus, and onto yourself. A positive methodology training class could be a good move if you continue to have problems. Good luck.
  6. Crackalingacrunch

Name:
    Jane
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you CaroleC, I like the idea of the throwing a treat and rewarding and we certainly haven't tried that. I will set to with all the suggestions. I try to remember that he is basically a teenager, but his good days lull me into a false sense of security :).

Oh and I agree entirely with Beagles out of laboratories - indeed all animals!
  7. Crackalingacrunch

Name:
    Jane
    CaroleC likes this.

Hi CaroleC, thinks for the information. Four months on and I think we may have turned the corner! Have always used rewards, but never had to be quite so treat orientated with the others, but with this fellow the amount was staggering! So pretty much as you suggestion with continuity and persistence.

After the first few weeks we began to see small changes and over the last 2 weeks we have noticed that he will generally run up to greet other dogs, but will come back of his own accord, then go and play if we say. On the odd occasion he may just need a whistle, but then returns. We haven't had a running off situation (better not have jinxed it now) since well before Christmas and that was out, round the block and back- though we are not becoming complacent in terms of our diligence around where he is and always mindful of who is in the vicinity.

Even the on lead milarkey (oh my, was that embarrassing), we are down to a squeak, but paws on the floor and no that horrendous squealing. His barking in the house has also reduced and generally when we say (not shout or be gruff, just firm) he quietens and stops (rewarded with a treat).

Initially everything was rewarded with a treat, but now he doesn't always seek a treat, but we do always give him a stroke and say he is good.

As I said before, I know we can't be get complacent and he is still a youngster yet and learning, so onward ever onward, but I am so glad we persisted with the training and didn't just go with the keeping him on the lead. He met a guide dog before Christmas and she is now one of his regular playmates when she is 'off duty' and it is such as joy to see them. Besides I don't think I could walk enough miles with him on a lead to exercise him enough.

Just thought I'd give some feedback - and if anyone else reads this some hope :). Archie is the first Pup that we seemed to have to work quite so much with and it was really starting to upset me that he might not be able to be off lead and also that people were misjudging his bouncy over friendly approach.

Time, rewards, continuity and a sense of humour!! We really are reaping the benefits from it all now though.

Thank you xx
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you so much for the update.
    You have made so much progress, well done.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm so glad your little guy has responded to the excellent training suggestions that Carole recommended.

The problem is that when they are tiny they get a lot of 'puppy license' which we tend to pay for when they reach the adolescent stage.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Is like give then and an inch and they take it as a mile? :p
  11. Crackalingacrunch

Name:
    Jane
    Malka likes this.
    yes the puppy licence is great if you have a pup that isn't so caught up in being excited they fail to recognise social cues!

I've never been without a dog in my life and certainly don't think I know everything but thought I was pretty on the ball training wise. What I have learnt from this though, is to remember that time and patience are amazing things and to respect each dog for their own individual personality and learning needs.

Everything is always clearer in hindsight and with the benefit of constructive advice
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    It certainly is. Unfortunately, a lot of vet puppy parties and even quite a few hosted by trainers allow free for alls where the scared become more fearful and the bold more uncontrollable. The result, of course, is that when adolescence descends, training becomes a much more laborious process.

The main this is that you are now getting on top of things and your little guy has an owner who cares enough to help him through this time. Well done! x
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And this is why I have a stark raving loony bonkers small person who never knew she was a puppy. No vet puppy parties, no trainers hosting by trainers. And I am still convinced she does not know she is a dog.