Separation Anxiety Rescue

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Westwighter, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Westwighter

Westwighter New Member

Name:
    Michael

Separation Anxiety

I have had Weimaraners for over 35 years, purchased as pets, trained & well behaved. 8 years ago I chose to join wieme rescue,over the years 4 wonderful dogs/bitches.I had considered my self to be an experienced owner, but I now have a serious problem, & difficult to resolve.
    20 months ago I took on what we all thought was a 6 year old dog,the final adoption papers indicated he was 4. We had a weimaraner bitch at home, & thought they would be good for each other (they are) To be brief After 3 weeks he cried from the moment he was put to bed, the moment we left the house. Neighbours started complaining, I was getting no sleep.We went to the Vet, where they had received his previous history. He had 3 homes in his 4 years,received little or no attention & became destructive, suffering severe separation anxiety.I engaged dog therapists, allowed him to sleep in his bed, but in my bedroom. I had to have sleep,he's been on Yu Calm for a year.We have 3 one hour walks EVERY DAY, & became a wonderful pet BUT out of my sight he cries bays for hours. I had to go away for 3 days & placed him in kennels, they refused to have him back as he was to stressed.Is there anything I can do, he is such a popular dog whilst out.My health was suffering & considered taking him back.I chose to give him all the love & attention, because of his history. I now fear no other kennel on the IOW will take him on. What can I do
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I really feel for you, but am sorry to say that I have been giving this some thought and have not really come up with anything that you haven't already tried.
    I did have nearly eighteen months of being anchored to a dog when I second-homed a six year old Beagle bitch from a, (well managed), kennel environment. I already had a Beagle dog, so had not anticipated any problems, but she did that monotonous one note bark every time she did not accompany us when we went out. She was OK in the car though, so Summer shopping trips became restricted to supermarkets, and usually necessitated covering the car in reflective sheeting. Winter meals out involved extra fluffy bedding, and long lasting chews. Friends got used to the fact that we left the table before dessert, to make sure our girl was comfortable.
    After approx. a year, she did start to improve. We could do gardening, and tasks outside, and if she did bark I was able to stop her with a firm NO! through the window. Leaving the house without her was still a problem, as she also spay incontinence, and had to be crated. However, as we learned to manage this problem better - or did she start to improve?, - she was able to have her crate door left open, (it is still closed at night), and this proved to be the turning point in solving the SA problem.
    The method which has worked for me is actually do the opposite of what is usually advised for SA, in that I do make it clear to my dogs that we are leaving. Beagles are bright enough to pick up on the cues, so why go without explaining? I tell them that I am 'Going go the shop', but will, 'Be back soon', and she runs straight to her bed for a treat. When we return, (to glorious silence!), I make sure that I always have something novel in my pocket, and I praise and treat them both for having been good.
    I realise that you have suffered SA for longer than we did, and you must be at the end of your tether. I can only say that my girl has been well worth the effort, and has repaid me in so many ways. Best wishes.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    How well written, I was glued to hear of a happy ending.
    When you are dealing with “ issues “ they seem to go on for such a long time and can’t imagine it ever going away
    Trust me Michael, from my experience and what you have just read what Carole ( and no doubt her support team ) went through, if you can dedicate the time and have unlimited patience you can usually overcome things
    Philippa